Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KayDashO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
So I've just accepted this for a while but I thought I'd post on here and see if there's actually a way around this.

When I take a photo on my iPhone, the photo automatically uploads to my MacBook Pro via iCloud I assume. When I delete this photo from my phone however, the photo remains on my Macbook, and what ends up happening, is, as I don't use iPhone much on my Macbook, when I do open it, I'm greeted with loads of pictures I deleted months ago still there, making a mess of things.

Is there a way around this? Can my Macbook be configured to 'know' when I've deleted a photo from my phone and remove it from there also?

bkaus

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2014
Your likely getting this because of the photo stream from the iPhone and the mac being set to automatically import from the photo stream.

Turn off the photo stream import.

Delete the photo from the photo stream.

Hope that the new Photo app released today resolves this confusion with the new iCloud photos...

Photostream was not well thought out in my opinion.

KayDashO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Your likely getting this because of the photo stream from the iPhone and the mac being set to automatically import from the photo stream.

Turn off the photo stream import.

Delete the photo from the photo stream.

Hope that the new Photo app released today resolves this confusion with the new iCloud photos...

Photostream was not well thought out in my opinion.

Apologies for the late reply. I couldn't log in due to password issues with my account :/

The thing is, I want Photos to import my pictures so they are added to my Mac when I take pics on my iPhone, but is there a way for it on my Mac, to also recognise when I delete pictures from my iPhone, and remove them from Photos too?

Stevee00

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2008
The thing is, I want Photos to import my pictures so they are added to my Mac when I take pics on my iPhone, but is there a way for it on my Mac, to also recognise when I delete pictures from my iPhone, and remove them from Photos too?

I have exactly the same question.

I have iCloud Photo Library turned OFF; I have Photo Stream turned ON. I want any photo uploaded to my other devices via Photo Stream to disappear completely and forever when I delete a photo on my phone.

Related: it seems that Camera Roll is completely separate from Photo Stream. I want to do the actually deleting in Camera Roll on my iPhone and have the photos gone forever. So is it a two-step process?

Is there anywhere I can see all the rules and actions for this whole Apple photo family spelled out, so I don't have to spend all my time experimenting and guessing and posting question?

I'm using all the latest versions of iOS and OS X.

Thanks,

Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.