Iphone Photo Transfer rate to Macbook Pro slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rickselest, Apr 13, 2017.

1. rickselest macrumors newbie

I was hoping someone can help. I have an Iphone 7 and and Macbook Pro mid 2012. I had exactly 4GB of video I recorded on my Iphone and wanted to transfer it to my macbook via usb. Out of curiosity I timed it. It took 2:30 to transfer over to the mac. I tried couple different methods... image capture, anytrans, iexplorer... ect. They all took about the same time to transfer. I decided to put that same 4gb folder of home videos onto a USB3 external drive and test the transfer rate and it took about 40 seconds to transfer that same 4gb of video to my mac from the external drive. Anyone have any idea of why an iphone transfer of the same file would be so much slower than a USB3 external hard drive. I would think they would be pretty close but they are not even in the same ballpark....

2. Benjinator macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure iPhones are only usb2.0 so their transfer rate would be slower than a usb3.0 drive.

3. rickselest thread starter macrumors newbie

Its is showing its under the USB3 bus...... not sure... I am a little new to macs

4. Ries macrumors 68000

The only Apple "device" with USB3 is the iPad Pro 12.9". The rest runs USB2.

5. Jaekae macrumors 6502

Think airdrop is quicker than the regular usb2 cabled transfer