iPhone Photography Apps Ruins EXIF data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LouieSamman, Sep 5, 2010.

1. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

There are a lot of Photography apps to edit your photos up to your liking.

I have a flickr account that I upload to from my iPhone and notice after editing photos with various photo editing apps that with the final version of my photo, it erases the EXIF data, GPS location, and timestamp.

How come photography app developers do this and make this an issue for us.

It's such a pain!

2. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Maybe it's flickr. Most image hosting sites delete EXIF data for the owner's protection.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

I believe that up until 4.1 that the developers had no choice - they weren't allowed to use any api's.etc that would retain the EXIF data. I seem to remember reading that some new apps/features are coming out that allow this now with 4.1

4. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

5. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

ah I understand. Yeah I notice all the photo editing apps removes the EXIF data from the photo and I couldn't understand why

But it makes sense and I guess we have to blame apple. But if the 4.1 changes that and allows developers the API to do so then hopefully the developers get on board and update their apps.

Especially TiltShift, ColorSplash, and the Flickr app. Those are my most used apps.

6. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

How do you know that 4.1 is coming with this to allow developers to do this?