iPhone photography: keep getting dark shots on IP5

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by msw123307, Apr 25, 2013.

1. msw123307 macrumors 6502

I take a lot of photos with my iPhone, primarily for eBay.

I'll take product photos in my dining room, which is well lit, with the products sitting on a white poster board.

A very annoying problem I've been having seems to be related to how my phone is detecting the light. Depending on how it "senses" the light I will either get a light shot or a much darker shot. I don't want to go in and adjust the brightness on each picture I take.

In addition, if I use the magic wand and fix it, the changes don't transfer to the eBay app. So that doesn't work either. I'd like for the photos to come out right the first time. Should I be using a different app to take my pictures, or is there anything I can do differently to avoid this problem?

2. fivedots macrumors 6502a

The light meter is trying to average out the scene and the white poster board is throwing it off. It's making the whole image darker because the image is mostly bright and white.

Have you tried tapping on the screen over the item to set a focus/exposure point? That should help.

3. dmax35 macrumors 6502

Try locking the AE.. http://osxdaily.com/2012/04/27/focus-exposure-lock-iphone-camera/

4. fivedots macrumors 6502a

5. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

6. dmax35 macrumors 6502

Your welcome. Best of luck.

7. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Also, don't forget that current iPhones have an HDR feature. Expose the darker portion and use HDR if the contrast is really off.