iPhone Photos backup to Mac over Wifi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elliots11, Feb 13, 2017.

1. elliots11, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017

elliots11 macrumors member

I've got too many GB of photos on my iPhone as I've transferred all of them phone to phone since iPhone 4 via iTunes. It's become overkill.
    - I've moved from iPhoto to Apple Photos in El Cap and just spent a good amount of time organizing stuff for the first time in a long time.
    - I hooked up my iPhone over lightning cable and brought years of photos over, and I clicked the box to delete the photos it brought over but Apple Photos didn't delete any of the photos on my phone for some reason. I guess I could go in with image capture and delete them, but I'd like it to work more cleanly.

What I want is pretty simple in theory: for my iPhone to backup photos to Apple Photos every night over wifi, ideally when iTunes is syncing.
    Recent Photos: I'd like to set up a smart album that keeps track of photos added over the last 6 months or a year and then have those photos either stay on my phone or be synced to my phone. This way I have all my recent photos without the heft of several years of older photos & videos.
    WiFi Only: I don't want to use iCloud in this process, or any other remote server. Local network only.

I see a way for iTunes to sync photos to the phone, but not from the phone, which is odd. I'm down to use third party apps if I have to, it's worth a couple of bucks if need be. Does anyone know a way to do this?

2. blaine07 macrumors 68000

ITunes aside, I use this with local NAS via FTP incase anything we're to ever happen. Might be of help in your endeavor. Sorry I can't answer more questions.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photosync-wireless-photo-video/id415850124?mt=8

It has option to delete on transfer and a wifi browser from PC I believe. May check more of your boxes than I realize. Works good for me to save them. I still use iCloud too though

3. elliots11 thread starter macrumors member

This is working out pretty well, thanks blaine07.

4. blaine07 macrumors 68000

Your welcome Glad I could be of use.

Make sure to go into settings and tell it on wifi to backup highest/original quality photo so it doesn't compress and turn on "Live Photos" if you want those backed up too!

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I use Drop Box. It is cheap and backs up every image on my phone. Drop Box also work cross platform so you can view your files from any device. Just an alternative.

6. blaine07 macrumors 68000

My image collection on phone far exceeds that of what DB will allow for free lol

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Mine does too so I pay a little extra and prefer it over the iCloud. I have all my company contracts on Drop Box so that all of my field people have access. I just carved out a protected folder to keep my images in. It is cheap for a year.

8. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I use PhotoSync too. It's great. The only complaint I have is not being able to backup automatically and periodically. It would be perfect to have such automatic backup like iCloud.

9. blaine07 macrumors 68000

I wish there was a way for it to automatically back up when connected to a certain wifi network after Xx amount of time. That way it would always backup when I connect to wifi at home. I guess problem probably is background service limitations in IOS?

10. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Actually, I take back what I said. There is an "auto transfer" option, and iBeacon support in PhotoSync. Will try it some day.

11. blaine07 macrumors 68000

I'm afraid your right.

12. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

I use an app called photosync. its not free, but not expensive. I've been using it flawlessly for more than 2 years.
    it can upload photos/videos to your designated network location (ftp, afp, webdav, amazon, dropbox, you name it). you can assign naming rules, folder structure. you can also have the upload triggered by location (which I'm using, and it takes pretty much no extra battery for location, which is a win for dropbox, I feel like when I used dropbox's auto upload, it take a big hit on battery life).

what's better is that there's a free Mac app, which you can upload to and from, and also you can have it automatically import your pics into your photo library after transfer is done.

also it can transfer pics between two phones/tablets.

plus, if you have decent 802.11ac wifi, the transfer speed is usually much faster than lightning (~60m vs. ~25m)

---------

based on your needs, you can have the app set to auto upload to your computer whenever you arrives home/office.

13. blaine07 macrumors 68000

This is exactly the app/use we mention above mate

14. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

looks like everyone loves the app.

15. elliots11 thread starter macrumors member

Photosync is pretty useful. I just wish it supported albums, but I think you'd need a first party support from Apple / iTunes for that. I could swear that I used to have it set up where iTunes automatically backed up my phone including the photos, but I guess I'm dreaming.