iPhone picks up a lot of background noise?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TN-3, Sep 22, 2008.

1. TN-3 macrumors newbie

I have been on the phone with several people who tell me they can clearly hear the background noise when talking to me, even over my own voice. Even the TV turned low seems to come through on the other end. Is the iPhone microphone just very sensitive or poorly placed/designed?

2. macDonalds macrumors 6502

I have not personally had this issue. I've owned a 2g for almost a year now.

3. Tosser macrumors 68030

Both, methinks. And in order to overcome the poor placement it would appear they upped the levels on it, thus making it "resolve" the entire room.

Also, it might have some sort of automatic gain (which usually sucks, no matter how it's implemented).

4. Amt macrumors regular

My friends say the same thing.

5. TN-3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone else with this problem? Is there a way to turn the microphone down?

6. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

I've noticed this on my iphone as well although I've never considered it a problem. I assumed that it was part of the enhanced clarity that comes with 3G network.

7. iphonecode macrumors member

8. nuzpaper macrumors newbie

I just purchased the 16G 3GS and have the same problem. Since I don't like using a headset I put a small piece of clear tape over the mic and this has lowered the background noise.

9. Fenfen1144 macrumors newbie

Hey. I was wondering about your tape solution. Did you use just regular scotch tape? I was thinking about using some old screen protector tape and cutting little sections for the speakers.

Also, did you poke holes in the tape? Any help would be greatly appreciated.