iPhone: Picture Editing...Changes Resolution drastically?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Autokon, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Autokon macrumors 6502

Autokon

Hey guys... I've found a weird issue when it comes to editing a photo from the Photos App and reviewing it in the new iPhoto app. So, for those whom also have the new iPhoto app for there iPhone, perhaps you can try this as well?

I've found a few similar issues over on the Apple community forums as well. Perhaps someone can enlighten me if I'm missing something here...

Here's the issue: Take a nice pretty pic (I use a 4S), of whatever you like. The resolution of this original pic is the max res, obviously. Now, edit the Photo right in the Photo app. Do a quick "Auto-Enhance" on it, crop off the left or right side a little. Now, goto iPhoto on your iPhone, let it update its library and navigate to the photo. Hit the "i" button on it to view its metadata. Check out the resolution? It's like 960x720 (I think), wwayyyyyyy smaller than original size. Now, if you go back to the photo in the Photo app, you are able to uncrop it (Yes, enter the crop menu, stretch it back to normal), undo the enhance. Go back to iPhoto (You may need to kill the app so it'll recognize the new re-unedited pic) and your photo should be back to 3264 x 2448 (iPhone 4S Default Size). If its not back to the size of 3264 x 2448, take another quick picture, so it'll make the database update itself in iPhoto iOS. In way, this leads me to believe its a bug.

I never noticed this until goofing with Photo App + iPhoto. Then, I started doing more tests....uploading the "Edited" version of the picture to my iMac to confirm if the resolution really was being changed, low and behold, the edits I made via the Photo App didnt even save to it anyway! Are the Photos App Edits....only really for the iPhone's screen or something? Note: I uploaded to my iMac via Dropbox.

Another example: Edit a picture from the Photos app, import it into Camera+, the imported photo will be of the original photo....ignoring all edits you made via the Photos App.

It's almost like...only edit pics via the Photos app for quick wallpapers on your iPhone...otherwise, dont touch it with a 10 ft pole, even for a simple cropping.

I require enlightening!

(Sry if this is like a total newb Photo thing on the iPhone... I've had ever single iPhone and have never really encountered this issue...)

2. qCzar macrumors regular

Interesting. I'm interested in a mildly proper photo editing app for my iPhone and this is a bit odd. If you upload the photo or e-mail (even export back to Photo Library then upload to the computer) is it the small size or larger? If it's larger it's a glitch, if it is 960x720 then iPhoto.app on iOS is doing some weird things or it's still a glitch with the App, only recognizing the 960x720 thumbnail size (maybe?) of an edited image from Photo.app.

3. Autokon thread starter macrumors 6502

Autokon

Doing some more testing now...

Any others out there find this?

4. Kootenaii macrumors newbie

solution avaiable..

Yes Any photo that has been edited or changed by any apps.. it drops to lower resolution.. but there is a app. out there that will put edited photo to high resolutions... app called Iris Photo Suite now at app store for 1.99.. works for me ! hope that helps

5. CACohenDVM macrumors newbie

Photoshop CC has announced new editing features including:

1) Smart Sharpen (filling in pixels in low-res images --> high quality high-res images)
    2) Intelligent Upsampling (blowing up images with much better results)
    3) Camera Raw 8 and Layer Support as a Filter (can access RAW editing from Filter Menu)
    Camera Shake Reduction

Are there any apps that ca provide such high quality service? Thanks. Chuck