iPhone Plan-Not a typical question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UnknownMacNoob, May 17, 2010.

1. UnknownMacNoob macrumors member

Well at least I hope not :/

Me and my friend are both getting iPhones for the first time (when the fourth-gen is released) and to save money we are going to get a family plan.

We are doing our research before hand to make sure we get the best deal and that everything goes smoothly. Our plan is to order them from Apple's website and have them delivered to his house on launch day. I know, big friggin whoop.
    I only give this back story because I wanted to see what it was like ordering from Apple
    Already having done research on the plan we wanted I figured (from ATT website) altogether it would be 149.99 a month. (550 Minute plan, Unlimited Data-Required for iPhones, and unlimited text). Trying to duplicate this plan on Apple's website (unless I'm scrubbing it hardcore) it does not give me an option to choose a 550 Minute plan. The lowest they have is 700 and its 30 bucks more than on ATT's website.

Am I failing or is Apple? I'm guessing me so be easy on me.

2. tnisatard macrumors 6502

i can answer your question

back when AT&T was cingular, they offered 550 minute plans, but after transitioning to AT&T now, they have phased out their 550 minute plan, and their family plans now start at 700 minutes

however some stores still offer the 550 minute plans, i think only new AT&T stores that are new stop offering the 550 minute plan, and only offer the 700 minute plan, if you check AT&T brochures at stores, they dont show the 550 minute plan

so thats probably the reason why Apple doesnt offer the 550 minute plan, since its not really unavailable anymore unless you ask about it (it does show for some zip codes on the ATT website though)

so if you want the 550 minute plan, you should order from ATT or go to the actual ATT store

ive talked to AT&T reps that ive met over in the east coast, and my cousin also works for AT&T and thats what ive learned from them

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

That is odd. I just renewed my plan last October and got the 550 Min plan. But what tnisatard says makes sense.

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You can also change your plan to the 550 minute plan online at any time. I am currently considering that, but don't want to lose my 4000+ roll-over minutes. Not that my wife and I ever come close to 700 minutes anyway...

5. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I hope your friend and you don't end up falling out over one using more minutes than the other.

Also, can AT&T family accounts be billed to two different accounts, or is one of you going to pay and effectively be responsible for the other person's spending?

I'm not sure about you, but I wouldn't even dream of signing up for a 2 year contract with any of my friends.

Fabian

6. rkswat macrumors regular

+1
    I lose rollovers every month I have so many saved. I wanted to drop down too but didn't because I won't give em up, they're mine lol. No really.... I wanted to give AT&T a call and see if they had or will start some kind of program to let people turn their unused r/o minutes into calling cards for service members. I doubt the have/will make up such a thing but I thought it would be worth a shot.

Just wondering why you sign your posts... we already know who you are. I've seen others do the same and have always wondered.

7. Raegor macrumors member

You guys thinking of dropping down serioiusly should. You're saving rollover minutes that you'll obviously never use (since you can stay within 550 min instead of 700 a month). Basically you're paying more $ a month for something you don't need. The $10/month ($120/year) is worth more even if you go over the 550 limit every blue moon.

8. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

That's actually a very good question - must be a leftover from the days when we used to write letters instead of emails.

Fabian - doh done it again!

9. MorganK macrumors regular

You can change the plan at any time without penalty. We had the 700 minute for about a year, when I signed up I'm almost certain it was the lowest they offered (my husband was deployed so I was the only one using them but switched his number over too for when he got back). I just dropped it down to the 500 min a few weeks ago. We lost a ton in rollover, but its not like we were ever going to come close to using them anyways.

10. rkswat macrumors regular

:D

11. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

Just an FYI, if u drop down your rollover doesn't get completely bounced, they just reset it down to whatever minute plan you choose, i.e. 500 minutes if u went to a 500 minute plan. It's well worth it, since you would start accumulating again if you're not going over that amount. If you do go over, you kick into your roll over and if it becomes consistent then you just jump your plan back up, no harm done.

12. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Sharing a plan with your "friend" is almost as bad as giving your credit cards to a girl you met last week in a bar.

13. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

That's why I wait 2 weeks and only give them my debit card.