Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jake36wi41

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
I'm sure everyone has seen the reports today about the iPhone's service plan prices being completely out of whack w/ other "competitors" (although I searched and didn't find any threads...) but I found this particular article interesting (albeit a little rant-ish) http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41524/146/

Maybe the change of the plan price structure and anyone that changes to a new plan re-ups for another year or two? That way the consumer is happy w/ lower prices and AT&T locks in people who might go elsewhere (especially if today's iPhone to Verizon rumors are true...)

Anyway, just throwing this out there, bored at the end of a work day :p

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I came from Verizon and the price plan was the same for a smart phone. The advantage AT&T has is with the roll over minutes.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I came from Sprint using a Treo 650. My bills were right around $73 with the lowest minute plan. With AT&T, it is about the same. This is why it wasn't hard for me to move to an iPhone. Same pricing.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
TMobiles 3G is what in 2-3 places in the US.
Most likelly you'll be using Edge speeds. Coverage and data speeds makes a big difference.

That's an over the top exageration. But the point is the cost. ATT 3g is not in every single place is it. My friend has the g1 and has 3g and that is what he is paying, it's cheaper.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Unless I'm mistaken, the G1's unlimited data plan isn't just restricted to HTTP.

I checked T-Mobile's site before I posted, but I think you are actually correct.

G1
Includes Unlimited Web access and 400 domestic text, picture, e-mail, or instant messages

I rechecked the Blackberry data plans, etc and all use the same terminology. T-Mobile should be a little more clear I suppose. :)

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
That's not unlimited data, that's unlimited Web, HUGE difference. On AT&T it's unlimited data, web, visual voicemail, file transfers, etc.

You have no idea what you are talking about do you. Stop making up stuff. G1 has unlim data.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Why are you guys arguing about other carriers? The article says this:

tgdaily.com said:
I believe AT&T royally screwed itself over with its overconfident pricing, which was most likely inspired by Apple's Jobs

This is their main point: That specifically it's the iPhone rates that are overpriced. Not that AT&T costs too much, but the iPhone itself has bad plans.

Now, as far as I know, Blackberries on AT&T cost the same for minutes and data. Don't they?

What this basically means is that the article is dumber than a sack of bricks, but they've mangaged to hide that by somehow getting all of you into arguing about T-Mobile instead.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I dont know but I thought Tmobile 3G started rolling out last summer so Im not sure if its up to par with AT&T's 3G speeds or coverage.
But either way, noone is forcing anyone to sign up with AT&T. If you cant afford it or think its too expensive then dont. Theres plenty of companys out there.

That's an over the top exageration. But the point is the cost. ATT 3g is not in every single place is it. My friend has the g1 and has 3g and that is what he is paying, it's cheaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.