iPhone Plan Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MacBook Touch, Oct 18, 2011.

1. MacBook Touch macrumors newbie

I am debating whether or not to buy an iPhone 4S or wait for iPhone 5.

The only reason I haven't bought an iPhone already is because I definitely want an iPhone 5, but I'm not sure how my expenses would add up on a Sprint Plan ($80 / month, low-end Unlimited Plan) if I added my iPhone to my plan and somehow took my iPhone 4S out of the picture. would I have to pay extra per month to not use my iPhone 4S when the iPhone 5 is out, or is there some large payment I can make upfront to avoid a monthly payment until my iPhone 4S 2-year plan runs out?

Also, which carrier has the best replacement plan?

Thanks in advance.

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Your whole question is, somewhat, confusing.

Anyway, on Sprint, just as an example to see if this helps you.

I have the 4S, so say next fall the 5 comes out, so I buy it and switch. Then no, as long as the 4S is deactivated, I pay no fees for it, I'll just pay my same plan prices, using the 5.

They do not offer insurance for the iPhone, you have to go through AppleCare, or other 3rd party insurance.

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Just as an added note, an iPhone on Sprint does require one of the everything data plans.

4. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Ok you want the 5 for sure but don't even know what its all about yet??

5. MacBook Touch thread starter macrumors newbie

@verwon

So, just to verify, I can purchase a 2-year commitment plan on Sprint with my iPhone 4S and drop it (or something like that) and switch to the iPhone 5 when it comes out?

Also, yes, I know that Sprint only offers its unlimited plans for the iPhone. I just wanted to clarify a little more which plan I had chosen.

@Arnezie

It's just that I don't want to be locked into a plan with my carrier and not be able to have the option to buy and use the iPhone 5 with it.

Another question: when I buy said iPhone 5, would I pay the normal $199 for the 16 GB iPhone because of the plan discount or would I have to buy it as if I was buying an unlocked iPhone, which is somewhere in the $500's, I believe.

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Yes, you can change phones, at any time. You'll still have the same contract dates, with any phone you but off contract.

7. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

And if you're not eligible for an upgrade, then yes, you'd have to pay off-contract pricing.

8. MacBook Touch thread starter macrumors newbie

@verwon

How often can you upgrade your iPhone on Sprint?

And thanks for all the help. ^^;