iPhone plans out in finland

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reboad, Jun 27, 2008.

1. reboad macrumors member

Here if you can read finnish

Small:
    31,69e(49,84usd)/month + 159e for 8GB (250usd) or 245e for 16GB (385usd)
    minutes: 100
    sms: 100
    data: 100mb
    (Total: 760.56e (1196.13usd) + phone)

Medium:
    51,49e(80.98usd)/month + 79e for 8GB (124usd) or 165 for 16GB (259usd)
    minutes: 250
    sms: 250
    data: 250mb
    (Total: 1235.76e (1943.48usd) + phone)

Large:
    89,99e(141.53usd)/month + 1e for 8GB (1.57usd) or 85e for 16GB (134usd)
    minutes: 1000
    sms: 1000
    data: 1000mb
    (Total: 2159.76e (3396.65usd) + phone)

costs for going over the plans:
    start fee for call: 0,049e (0.077usd)
    minutes: 0,079e (1.24usd)
    sms: 0,079e (1.124usd)
    data: 1,49e/mb (2.34usd)

All of them come with the 24 month contract

And then there's the cake!

8GB = 429e (675usd)
    16GB = 519e (816usd)

You still have to take the 24 month contract, but you can pay the phone at once, and you can make your own plan!

I will probably buy the phone at once and get the basic contract with just data, and that is 1,99e + 14,99e for the data. Calls cost exactly what you'd have to pay if you go over the plans (which is pricey, but can't be too picky I guess).

Data plans are 14,99e for 512Kbit (23.43usd), 19,80e for 1Mbit (31.14usd), 34.8e for 2Mbit (54.73usd). Unlimited except for the speed of course. After reading a bit about this so called unlimited data plan, I noticed a small print: 3GB/month, that's what they consider a fair amount, over that and they'll start limiting your data, no info on how.

Forgot the home run, which means wifi networks around and about to be accessible for the iphone (I'm sure there's none at my town)

One idea would be to get the phone, with the basic contract (1,99e/month), crack the phone, get a connection from another provider and live happy!

2. Kankki macrumors regular

3. samab macrumors 6502a

4. Matti macrumors regular

Oh my god, you are actually correct!

Looks like iPhone will break lot of records in Finland:

-First phone ever to be only availeable locked
    -First PAYG phone that is locked
    -First phone that is availeable only trough one service provider
    -Worst data packge ever. All competitors offer unlimited data for 9 euros or so (Unlimited really meaning unlimited).

Hopefully it will faill miserably. Last thing we need is this kind of american style uncompetive crap on our market.

EDIT: No need for "hopefully". Those prices and contracts are so insane that it's pretty much guaranteed to fail. 429€ or 519€ for a phone that has 24 month simlock. Now that's funny.

5. Kankki macrumors regular

I hope it'll fail so they'll sell it like any other phone in Finland. Then I'll be happy :rolleyes:

6. Matti macrumors regular

That's just Sonera...

7. Kankki macrumors regular

Thanks for 'fixing' the post, Reboad! :)

Edit: Ah. A moderator merged this with an older post. XD

8. lamadude macrumors 6502

Wow I would have thought that in Finland, the home of Nokia, the cell phone networks would be more advanced as well, and offer unlimited data... Finland, I'm disappointed in you! More than 500 euros for a LOCKED phone? Horrible data plans? :-s
    Still, I should withhold judgment until the plans in Belgium are released (should happen next week) but I'm pretty sure they will be better than this...

9. saxamoophone macrumors regular

Pisssh...come on...there are other smartphones out there which provide a similar level of competition.

I don't like the rules in place for the iPhone anymore then anyone else...but if you don't like it, don't buy it. It's that simple. It's what we call capitalism. And while it has it's kinks (what system doesn't?), it's been pretty darn successful (on average) for a few hundred years. Government's don't need to step in and "protect the little man" on every little thing. Mankind should be intelligent enough to research frivolous items (the iphone is in NO way a necessity) and determine if it is of value. If not...don't buy it...it's that simple! The economy and market will react in turn!

That being said, that does sound like an awful plan. I'm surprised all these countries aren't getting unlimited data. Is that the norm?

10. reboad thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, well, we're talking about Sonera here.. See here my comparison to another provider which I posted on the swedish thread.

Oh, and by the way, to my knowledge iphone is the first phone in finland without an unlocked option. :(

DAMN SWEDES! Why did you have to buy our sonera and ruin the iphone for us? WHY?

11. reboad thread starter macrumors member

Today I recieved a text message inquiring a call if I'm still interested in the iPhone. Long story short; one white 16GB iPhone reserved for me at 11.7 :)

Teliasonera had a page up where you left your information along with the place you want to buy the phone from. This was the so called no ties pre-order, before they put up any prices.