Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbro1999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
New here so I'm not sure if this was discussed before, but I'm at work and was thinking.... With AT&T all worried about data usage is it possible for the iPhone to get the internet though the computer instead of using 3g? I know we can't do this now, but could it be something we see in the future? When I am at work I leave my iphone plugged in all day and stream internet radio (headphones don't reach my computer and it's easy to use), and surf right from my phone. If this was possible it would cut my data usage in half.

Thoughts?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
New here so I'm not sure if this was discussed before, but I'm at work and was thinking.... With AT&T all worried about data usage is it possible for the iPhone to get the internet though the computer instead of using 3g? I know we can't do this now, but could it be something we see in the future?

You can already do this by creating an ad-hoc wireless network.

I don't think data transfer through the USB cable is allowed for App store apps, and I doubt it is likely to relent on this. iTunes is the only app that is allowed to communicate with the phone by USB.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Not possible via wired, but iPhone can access wifi networks. But, if you are in the US don't you have unlimited data?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Actually, "share internet connection," not ad hoc network.

I'm not sure what distinction you are trying to make, but I believe creating an ad-hoc wireless network is an accurate description of what I am suggesting: networking two computers/devices together wirelessly, without the assistance of a router. Perhaps you are using the term "ad hoc network" is some more limited or OS-specific sense?

jbro1999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
They should have it where you could set it up automatically. I connect it and boom connected to the net. Would be nice in places where I only get EDGE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.