iPhone plus Express Card?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darthmullet, Oct 22, 2007.

1. darthmullet macrumors member

Do I have to purchase separate plans or is there a way I can use an iPhone data plan with both an iPhone and an EDGE (and/or 3G) ExpressCard? Or does anyone know if iPhone has any plans of supporting use as a modem for a computer like just about every other cell phone on the market now (I use my RAZR V3 as a modem top connect to GMS in a pinch)?

2. projectle macrumors 6502

Part 1...

You can purchase an Express Card and share the sim card, however doing so is a violation of the terms of service for AT&T, as the iPhone data plan is not intended for use in any sort of tethering (using the data service on a computer). It is possible that AT&T could fine you for this, and it has happened before.

Part 2...

For the very reasons mentioned above, it is unlikely that the iPhone will "officially" be used to allow a computer to connect to the internet.

There are hacks available that turns the iPhone into a Wireless Access Point, though, however this is in violation of AT&Ts terms of service.

3. aerospace macrumors 6502a

..you a cop ...or lawyer? :p

4. darthmullet thread starter macrumors member

Even though their proprietary firmware on other phones (Motorola, Sony, etc.) allows the use of the GSM/HSDPA/3G modem function?!?

That is too lame. Oh well, thanks for the input...