Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Done-on-a-Mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
I just took a poll on CNN Money. Here is a screenshot I took.

So far the results don't bode well for Apple.:(

Attachments

• iPhone.jpg
    iPhone.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 156

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Ya orignally I planned to get it, up I have a few worries.

1) Battery life...I don't want to have to worry about that. I want to call, text, listen and watch to what ever I want, whenever I want

2) Screen...it so perfect, I'll be afraid to use it. I don't treat my phone great, not like my iPod. I want to be able to bring my Phone to the beach, and not worry about it.

3) I can't replace my iPod, so I'd have an iPhone and iPod with me...seems pointless.

For those reason I'm getting a Palm Treo...I like the keypad, support for docs and spreadsheets. And the low price is good too

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
So far the results don't bode well for Apple.

How so? Considering this is an online poll on CNN Money, and their target goal is 1% market share by the end of 2008, I'd say Apple is doing just fine. If you were to take everyone who voted on that poll as 100% of the market segment, which would be a grievous error to say the least, they still received a definitive 6%. That's well above their target.

I'll believe Apple is "in trouble" if, by this time next year, they haven't sold 1 million phones. I'm not sure they'll be able to make that 10 million phone mark, but they should easily make the 1 million mark.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Seems like apple would reach their goal and more if this poll should come to pass...I think apple will make it as time go by with the iphone...soon as they open that bad boy up to other phone companies.

Bless

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Only 62% said no, which leaves 38% saying 'maybe'. I'd consider that as being very positive in such an established and saturated market.

Done-on-a-Mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
Then I retract my previous statement. :D

I saw the raw numbers & thought "oh man, this looks bad". I am sure other people who don't follow this stuff closely will see what I saw at first.

The poll could be confusing to some people. The part that says, "Yes, but I am hoping for the price to go down," could be read 2 ways. It could be read "Yes, I will buy the iPhone anyway but hope the price will go down." or "Yes, I will wait to buy the iPhone when the price goes down." So which is it?:confused:

Some people might click "No" because they read the poll as in the first explanation but were thinking to themselves "No, I will buy the iPhone when the price drops." They click "No" when they should have clicked "Yes", because they are going to buy an iPhone anyway.

I could be over analyzing the whole thing.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
What everyone is saying is true. You can't expect the iPhone to come out and grab the kind of marketshare the iPod has because people don't want to pay much for their phone, don't want to change carriers, or any number of other reasons, but if those numbers accurately reflect the cellular market as a whole we're talking a huge boost to Apple's bottom line.

tomoisyourgod

macrumors regular
May 3, 2007
Liverpool, UK
What everyone is saying is true. You can't expect the iPhone to come out and grab the kind of marketshare the iPod has because people don't want to pay much for their phone, don't want to change carriers, or any number of other reasons, but if those numbers accurately reflect the cellular market as a whole we're talking a huge boost to Apple's bottom line.

In addition to your statement about the market share - companies such as Nokia have a strong brand following... the mobile phone market is tough

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.