iPhone: Potential vs. Reality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nam Pla, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Nam Pla macrumors member

Okay, so I've had my iPhone now for a bit over 2 months, 3G model, unlocked ("legally") for use here in Thailand (where I bought it).

The biggest disappointment I have found with it, is that there are just no really good apps to use that take advantage of its vast potential. Yeah, there's some real winners, nice news/sports type things, some nifty games to play, and there's the usual email/internet uses that make it appealing as such. But I search the App Store regularly and I'm constantly disappointed that I can't find anything that's really that useful there.

I mean, how many tip calculators and mostly lame games does one need? It seems that the iPhone's potential far outweighs the reality of what's available for it.

Some apps I've read about that are available for the jailbroken phones seem way more useful than what's available from Apple, but I hesitate to go that route fearing problems down the road. Plus my phone is still too new, and I'm just not that experienced about the hacking thing to trust doing that right now. The popularity of jailbreaking, and the apps available for jailbroken phones should be telling Apple something - shouldn't it??

The apps that do appear to be good ideas either have really bad reviews (on the App Store), have serious crashing issues, or are simply something that's available for my computer in a better and more productive format.

When will Apple allow us some really useful apps, especially in the Productivity category, that will allow the iPhone's potential to become reality?

Just thought I'd throw this out there for comments... :D

2. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

What jailbroken apps are there that can't be done better on a computer? Not even really sure what kind of apps you think should be on the app store, being as how you didn't elaborate on the jailbroken apps that you think are better.

3. noobinator macrumors 601

Yeah I'm curious what kind of things you'd like to see in terms of applications?

I've found a ton of useful apps.

4. lavinci macrumors 6502

Maybe the app where it folds your laundry for you? I hear maytag is creating something like that soon.

5. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Yeah, I heard that they where working on that app so the phone could power your house, but you know how the big oil company's get.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

There is an abundance of amazing apps out there, you just have to know how to find them, and more importantly know what you're looking for. You're not going to have much luck by just browsing if you don't know what it is you're hoping to find.

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I have to admit... trying to find the best apps is HARD. They really should make a premium section that has the best apps (not necessarily the most popular). I mean... feature a section that has apps that are made by big developers that have the same quality as the apps included on the iPhone by Apple. Here are some of the best apps I've used:

Twitterrific
    Things
    Delivery Status Touch
    Sketches
    Readdle Docs
    iStat
    How To Videos
    Inquisitor
    Movies
    Reader (Atom/RSS)
    Tuner (Internet Radio)
    Tweetie
    Wallet
    Wikipanion
    Where To?
    Track 'n' Trail
    XBMC Streamer
    Colloquy

These apps look, feel and perform like they belong on the iPhone. Most of the App Store is just trash that is quickly slapped together and doesn't look like much effort was put in.

Edit: I have a few more:

Cha-ching
    Brushes
    Tweet Deck

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

9. Nam Pla thread starter macrumors member

Some good and interesting comments folks. Much appreciated, thanks. I checked out some on Spaz's list too, and there's some good ones there, thx!

Yes, I think that perhaps the App Store could be better organized to find the better or higher rated apps (rather than most popular) more easily. I guess I need to spend more time browsing to locate what apps I just might be missing out on.

A couple of the better jailbreak apps I had read about, and can think of off the top of my head, were: the Winterboard app for customizing the look of your phone, the video recording app, and one that allows you to organize and unclutter your springboard by having folders to store app icons in.

The best app idea was the laundry thing. Sure would beat the hell out of having a wife! But I checked Maytag's website and couldn't find any info on that anywhere. Perhaps you can post the link to where you saw it? ;)

Cheers,
    NP

10. matttye macrumors 601

Apple don't want to allow background apps at the moment because there would be a big hit on battery life, and given the many, many, complaints they already have about battery, it's not a road they want to go down at the moment.

Maybe the iPhone 4G..

11. macgoodnight macrumors newbie

he does raise a point...there are some good apps out there but the bad ones far out ways them...i think the ratio might be 100 bad apps for every good one...

12. Hbcyclone macrumors newbie

Well, I bought 06 E55 AMG. Windows sticker is showing 15-27 mpg, I never saw anything above 23 mpg, not even close. Why? Because I drove this thing like I stole it, I drove this thing to it potential, I drove this thing the way it meant to be driven. I get lucky to get above 17 mpg. I know I can get gas anywhere I go, I pay to play. I never call up Mercedes to yell at them about the fuel economy.

Iphone should be the same imo. If I wanted to keep charging my iPhone every 3 hours then it’s my problem. If background apps and multitasking suck up some battery – so be it. Let the end user made that choice if they want 4 days or 3 hours between charges.

To OP. When did iPhone become available in Thailand? I was there to visit my folks in Jan of this year didn’t see one. Where did you buy it and how much? I will have my sister check it out and maybe buy one and send to me.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its true that there's a lot of questionable applications but by the same token, finding some really useful and helpful applications.

14. matttye macrumors 601

I wholeheartedly agree, but Apple clearly don't see it that way. From a business point of view it wouldn't be wise for them to allow background apps when a lot of people are already saying the battery isn't up to par. Your regular, non-techy iPhone user might not realise it's background apps to blame and give the phone bad publicity.

15. macgoodnight macrumors newbie

There should be a 24 hour return policy on all apps. It's ridiculous how many times i have purchased an app and have been dissapointed a few hours later. Also, does anyone else agree that more than 50% of the applications listed in the app store are worthless. I understand there are good ones, but really now almost all of the apps in entertainment or utilities catagories are pointless. Mind you, there are always exception to the rules.

16. Nam Pla thread starter macrumors member

The iPhone is officially available in Thailand and offered by True Move. I believe they were formerly UBC, the satellite TV/internet/communications people. I don't remember the exact date they started offering it, but it's been around a year now.

They offer the phone with one of their 1 or 2 year plans, or they'll sell you the phone, unlocked (by them) to use with any Thai sim card. The disadvantage being that the email/internet type apps are only (or at least at a reasonable cost) available with wi-fi service, there is no 3G network available in Thailand yet as far as I know.

I went with the unlocked sim card phone to keep my same 1-2-Call sim. I thought their yearly plans were expensive, and included some usage charges (for texting and internet usage) that were a bit restricting I thought. (Sorry, I don't have the ฿ charges on hand to pass on to you.) As I had wi-fi access at my apartment, and it is widely available here in Phuket, I thought the sim card option was better for my uses.

The cost of the iPhone (3G, 8GB), unlocked (with 1 yr. warranty by True Move) was ฿26,215. I think the 16GB model was around ฿3,000 - ฿4,000 more. I don't know if they offer the 3GS here in Thailand yet.

I agree. And apparently many who offer their opinions and reviews of some of the apps agree as well. I've read quite a few comments there that say exactly that!

17. samiwas macrumors 65816

While I agree, a few looks around this forum will tell you why they may not. iPhone owners aren't exactly the most conscientious bunch. People will do intentional stuff to their phones then blame Apple when something goes wrong, or go and try to trick the genius into accepting the return.

As soon as they allowed users to do things that would degrade the battery faster, even the users who "should get to decide" would be whining and crying at the Apple Store...wasting everyone's time. "Waaah! I don't care if I have Facebook, AIM, Twatter, streaming internet radio, an eBay watcher, and turn by turn GPS running all the time, and I never let the screen turn off...I want my battery to last longer than 5 hours...Waaah! It's defective!"

18. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

haha just 50%?? that means over 25,000 apps are worth something... more like 99%!! actually that would leave like 500 apps still, i dont know if theres even that many useful ones hahaha

19. macgoodnight macrumors newbie

I feel the same way, but I didn't want to piss everyone off. The app store is filled with developers just trying to make a quick buck. Most don't care about the consumer as long as they get their money.

20. Nam Pla thread starter macrumors member

Recently found this site: http://www.appstorehq.com/

Has better search flexibility, but not as many app reviews as the app store.

21. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

:confused:
    Even a year ago (before it came officially available in Thailand), I have seen *by far* more iPhones in Bangkok than I have in Toronto.

As the OP has replied, it is officially available now through True. There are "3G hotspots" in major shopping malls, but not throughout the entire city. There is, however, EDGE coverage in most parts of the city.

Unless you're against against having a contract with AT&T (or whatever your official carrier is), I would think that it will be cheaper to get it subsidized at wherever you are.

I'm Thai, but I go to school in Toronto and I'll be getting my 3GS through Rogers - works out cheaper than buying the handset here and getting a plan there.

Oh and as of last week, I began seeing some 3GS's for sale at MBK (but not through True yet, likely another month or so)

22. Nam Pla thread starter macrumors member

Out of curiosity, did you notice by any chance what they were selling the 3GS for?

23. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I didn't ask/see.

24. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

25. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

So, uh, I guess one in like every 4 people has an iPhone in Thailand?

Not sure where in Toronto you are, but I see iPhones everywhere I look. Easily the most popular single model of phone out there. And those not including people who have the iPhone in their pocket or are using non-apple headphones.