iPhone power button broken due to case?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pcpshortbus, Feb 15, 2012.

1. pcpshortbus macrumors member

what's up guys, been a while since i've posted on here.

i bought myself an iphone 4 a few weeks ago off craigslist. the phone was working fine for about 2 weeks, then my power button started getting a little stuck. soon after that, it completely stopped clicking. now the power button is completely loose and i can hear it rattle when i shake the phone.

i have looked up this issue online and it seems like there are a good amount of people who have had this same issue. i am planning on fixing it, but i've got a question about the case i'm using- the incipio ngp.

is there any chance this case caused the issue with my power button? the power button began giving me problems a few days after i started using the case. i ask because i really like the way this case fits the phone but i wouldn't want to have the same hardware issue again after fixing the phone.

thanks in advance for any help!

2. DanBurns91 macrumors regular

If you still have applecare on your phone take it to your local apple store and get it replaced! :)

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I highly doubt that a case would cause the sleep/wake button to not function over time. If your phone is still under the warranty, you can take the iphone to your local apple store, make an appointment with the genius bar. If they find it faulty and it's still under warranty, then they will replace it for free. If the warranty is expired, then you will have to pay the OWR which is 150 bucks for the iphone 4.

4. pcpshortbus thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the replies. unfortunately the phone isn't under warranty anymore. i can get the button fixed for about 40 bucks (i don't feel comfortable doing it myself).

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Even if it's not under warranty it won't hurt to bring it to the store and see if they'll fix it for free

6. pcpshortbus thread starter macrumors member

yeah that's what i was planning on doing. hopefully i can make it over there this week and see how nice the genius bar is at the mall. keeping my fingers crossed that they'll be able to hook it up.