iPhone power button slanted inward (pushed into the phone)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AdventurousJosh, May 9, 2009.

1. AdventurousJosh macrumors 6502

Hey guys,
    My on/off button appears to be slanted on the left side. It's been that way for a while, and i didn't really notice how slanted into the phone it was until I compared it to another iPhone. This was refurbished, I believe, since I got it through Apple as a replacement (last phone had the cracking problem) It still works fine although I am slightly concerned it will stop working one day? Have any of you guys heard of this issue be/and is it worth calling Apple for?

Thanks,

Josh

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If it looks like an obvious defect, apple will most likely replace it. I would set up an appointment at the Genius Bar by going here. And see what they say about it. :)

3. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

Yeah it is a defect....its a defect on every iphone now I geuss, specially since my first one had it, then the refurbished one had it, then when I replaced it for a brand new one out of box, it still had it...omfg...the freakin display iphones look better and millions of people touch them everyday!

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

It's not on every phone. I got mine, and it has no defects at all.

5. Ruckus12 macrumors member

mine is the same way, it is a replacement from apple as well..

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

My new iPhone had that issue, but it never bothered me because it still worked fine. My refurbished iPhone doesn't have that issue.

7. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Yeah, my Sleep/Wake button is really depressed, so it's very difficult for me to depress it when I don't have nails. I'm not sure if I should waste my time at the Apple Store, though, attempting to have it replaced. It's a pain in the ass though; actually it's almost impossible without my incase on it.

And it wasn't like this when I first purchased it. It's never been dropped either. And since I need a firmer grip around the phone when I click the button, the plastic housing makes a crackling sound.

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

You should get it checked out ASAP, I'm sorry, but you shouldn't have to hear your phone crackle every time you use it. You paid a lot of money for it to be acting like that.

9. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

10. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

11. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I just noticed yesterday that mine is slanted to the left too. I don't remember it being like that. I know it is not from me dropping it either. It still functions fine so I am not sure if I will take it in or not. It will be another month and a half before I anywhere near an Apple store.

12. Legolai macrumors member

Yeah my new refurb does this, my original 3G didn't but i had to take it it due to plastic cracking, nice to know i should get a replacement for this issue if i have to go in again, im having battery issues the moment so if it gets any worse ill be taking it in before july.

13. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I recently got a replacement from Apple and it has this problem as well, but to be honest ... The button works fine, so it seems like a waste for me to go and get it replaced. I may end up with one that has crazy light leaks, or scan lines or something ... This is the least of the list of "in spec defects". Just my opinion.

14. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Well... thanks for the warning at least! I'm going to replace my iPhone due to several random issues and I hope I don't get a refurb with this issue.

15. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I had a phone replaced because of this issue. I actually mentioned it in passing before going into the battery problems I was having not thinking anything of it other than expressing my annoyance to the genius.

He wouldn't even listen to what I had to say about the battery. He said he'd replace it due to the "sad power button" (depressed; heha, clever I know).

16. sbojevets macrumors member

when apple releases the new iphone..
    and when u bring ur defective iphone for a change.. will they still get me the same one? or a new updated one ?

17. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey guys,
    Thanks for the replies, I see you guys are recommending me take it back. The problem is I'm nowhere near an Apple store. I'm currently in Folsem, California.I'm staying with my sister for maybe the summer. I'm from Anchorage, Alaska, which also doesn't have an apple store. There is one in Sacramento but (since I'm not from here) have no way of getting there.

Can I all Apple and have mine sent in? is this possible?

Josh

18. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Mine looks has the same issue with it slanting toward the left as shown in the pics posted above. Been that way since I got it. I've never bothered to take it in. It's my second 3G and both had the same issue with the button. My first one lots of dust under the screen and it bothered the crap out of me, they exchanged it no question. Everything thing else on the phone is perfect, I'm afraid of exchanging it, in fear I get some new problem that's a lot worse than a slightly uneven button (which works fine).

19. Assman macrumors newbie

Same problem here with my :apple: 3g. Will they replace it for that reason only? My warranty expires on July 25 if that matters.

20. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

You can call Apple and they'll send you one .... but HONESTLY. If the slanted button is your only problem with it, you may have lucked it. My girlfriend just got a new one and the button is slanted just like mine, but no light leaks or cracks (yet) so I'm stoked for both of us.

21. fr00b macrumors regular

My refurb iPhone has the same problem, although it isn't as flush as the ones pictured. My first iPhone was returned because of a dodgy back cover that was abit loose.

The phone they replaced it with has the depressed sleep/wake button and a bit of light leak down the left hand side but I can never be bothered to take it to an Apple store to check it out.

22. Psyxologos macrumors regular

Mine is EXACTLY like this but does not bother me. Not in the slightest. It works OK so I guess I have no reason to care. Especially since everything else on the phone works brilliantly.

23. Psyxologos macrumors regular

My point exactly.

24. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

25. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX