iPhone power cord for a iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Clint1583, May 15, 2016.

1. Clint1583 macrumors regular

Wife purchased a new iPad Pro today and I noticed the power supply is the typical Lightning plug but the power supply end is the old square block style plug. Does it require this or can we simply use the normal iPhone power cord.

What's this different style for anyway? Being able to use the same plug of all her Apple products is what we're hoping for.

2. 960design macrumors 68020

So confusing... I had to read this a couple of times. Please correct me if I misunderstood you.

You picked up an iPad Pro.
    It comes with the standard USB to lightning cable.
    It comes with a 10w USB power adapter.

You can use the iPhone USB to lightning cable.
    You cannot use the iPhone USB power adapter.

The iPhone USB power adapter is only rated at 5w. Your iPad would charge extremely slowly at 5w, if at all.

You may use the 10w USB power adapter to charge your phone or your iPad Pro.

3. LiveM, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016

LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

You can use either for each device. The 12W adaptor is big and not so beautiful but will charge your devices in half the time.

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

It actually comes with a 12w power block but otherwise you're correct.

The iPhone will charge just fine with the iPad's power adapter but I wouldn't try to charge the iPad Pro with the little iPhone power adapter.

The cord itself is otherwise identical.

5. 960design macrumors 68020

Sorry, I should have clarified.
    The iPad Pro 9.7 has the 10w usb adapter, the 12.9 has the 12w usb adapter.

6. Clint1583 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! We were hoping for travel purposes the iPhone plug would work fine for the iPad Pro. Sounds like we're better off just traveling with the larger 12v block charger that came with the iPad.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

For travel, a dual USB charger is handy. They are usually made so you can charge a regular iPad and iPhone, so it might be a bit slower to charge the iPad Pro than the 12v block, but being able to charge two devices with one charger is very handy, and you can find ones not much larger than the 12v block.

8. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

The iPad Pro 9.7 should come with at least 12W, the ipad Pro should come with the 29W charger. It's only marginal bigger an charges almost 3 times as fast!

9. Mr.C macrumors 601

I use a multiple USB charger by Anker when I travel. It supplies enough power to charge phones and tables and full speed. I use one to charge my iPhone 6S Plus, iPad Pro 9.7, Apple Watch and 3DS at the same time. They come in different wattages and the higher the wattage the more power they deliver.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_1_8_...USB+Charger&ie=UTF8&qid=1463417668&sr=8-8-acs

10. 960design macrumors 68020

I have 6 (six) iPad Pro 9.7. Everyone of them came with a 10w USB power adapter. They were purchased in the US, not sure if that makes a difference.