iPhone predicament

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleDApp, Aug 13, 2011.

1. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

My phone broke(HTC Legend) last week. Since then I have looked into several options.

• Fix the cracked screen (100$) then send it in for warranty to get the software fixed with no guaranty this will work.
    • Pay the early upgrade fee (70$) and the cost of a new phone with contract for 3 years this would cost me about 300$ up front plus paying for a contract that doesn't include data so I'll have to add data to my current bill of 40$/month (30$ for 500mb of data/month)
    • Cancel my plan (200$ for penalties), lose my current phone number and sign a new contract (cost of phone and contract) with another carrier.
    • My issue is that I've been waiting for the new iPhone in hopes of a bigger display, and that they change the back of the phone. I currently use an iPod touch with textPlus to communicate with friends and family combined with google voice on my laptop. Unfortunately this only works in wifi zones and the audio quality on google voice isn't at par with a regular phone.

i live in Canada. Should I wait for the iPhone 5 hoping it arrives before the plan offer I'm looking at expires or should I jump the gun?

My current phone plan is as such

250 anytime minutes/month
    unlimited evening and weekends 6pm
    unlimited text
    caller id, voicemail
    40$/month

Plan I've been looking at
    *Offer ends September 30th 2011

200 anytime minutes
    unlimited text
    Unlimited nationwide talk & text messaging with 10 numbers
    caller id, voicemail, conference call
    100mb of data
    40$/month

OR

200 anytime minutes
    unlimited text
    Unlimited nationwide talk & text messaging with 10 numbers
    caller id, voicemail, conference call
    1gb of data
    55$/month

2. luked14 macrumors 6502

Waiting for the iPhone 5 would be a roll of the dice but we should (hopefully) know the release date by September 30.

3. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Yes but I also need it to be available for purchase through my carrier in Canada before then.

4. luked14 macrumors 6502

Exactly. I would wait to hear the announcement and then make the decision.

5. rman726 macrumors 6502

But you will almost certainly know the release date of the phone well before September 30th. If it ends up releasing after September 30th, then you can evaluate your options.

6. AppleDApp, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

If the iPhone is release after september 30th I guess I'll have to get the iPhone 4 as it's the only decent phone available with Telus. In the mean time I'll also be without a phone that I am still paying for about 5 weeks.

Edit The most recent rumor seems to mention a October launch in the US. The source of this rumour seems fairly uncertain.

Source: http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

You have more options than that:

- buy/beg/borrow/steal a Telus phone and use that until the next iPhone comes out.
    - buy an unlocked iPhone 4. If you like the next iPhone, sell the 4 and buy the new one. Unlocked iPhones hold onto value well, so by selling it you shouldn't be out-of-pocket much when the new one lands. If you decide not to buy the next iPhone, keep the unlocked 4. Wait for the next next iPhone and reevaluate.

Also, you won't lose your phone number if you cancel. Just go somewhere else and ask them to port the number. They'll take care of cancelling your existing contract and moving your number for you.

8. AppleDApp, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

AppleDApp

if I go with the first option will I be able to get the iPhone 5 at a subsidized price when it is released?

I was talking to someone at bell and they said that because my number had all ready been moved from rogers to bell I wouldn't be able to keep the same number for telus.

I've started looking at used iPhones and I found an iPhone 4 16gb for 200$ what do you guys think? is it worth spending 200$ then upgrading to the iPhone 5 or should I wait it out?

9. Magsec4 macrumors member

I've never heard of a limit for the number of times your phone number can be transfered. I'm pretty sure you would be able to keep it.

If you buy a cheap, used Telus phone you can use that until iPhone 5 comes out and get it at the usual subsidized price. If you buy a new phone direct from Telus then you would have to pay an early upgrade fee on the iPhone. You could also probably sell the temporary used phone afterwards for a few dollars too (this includes buying a used iPhone 4 and selling it again after you get an iPhone 5, you probably won't lose a lot of money that way).

10. AppleDApp, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

AppleDApp

I am not currently on telus so How would switch to Telus get a smartphone plan with a dumb phone then get the iPhone when it comes out?

The latest rumour is an October 7th or 14th launch day with pre orders starting most likely on september 30th. Based on previous previous releases this would be for the US. An international launch would be later in time.

Being without a phone is such a pain.:eek:

11. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Today I decided to just go ahead and get the iPhone 4 I won't be the coolest once the iPhone 5 comes out in a month or so but there's always the iPhone 6 :D