iPhone Prepaid on T-Mobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marioman38, Sep 12, 2007.

1. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

iPhone Prepaid on T-Mobile? (The Prepaid Cards, not Month2Month)

If you Unlocked the iPhone to work on T-Mobile and inserted a T-mobile To Go SIM, would it be able to place a call? This has the best rates by far since i only use ~35 min a month.

(Perhaps someone who unlocked can try and post their results)

2. dennisSYNd macrumors newbie

yes

I just unlocked my iphone today and also bought a prepaid tmobile sim card just to test out (10 bucks + tax for 10 mins) and it works. I can call out and receive calls. Hope that helps.

3. marioman38 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Sweet thanks! How about net. This is not possible right? Or does it charge XX per KB etc. ??

and WELCOME TO MR dennis!

4. dennisSYNd macrumors newbie

i dunno about prepaid net. i think there is though since they make prepaid sidekick phones, but right now i just use wifi for all my data stuff (youtube and internet)

5. Nemisis macrumors member

Wow...this free unlocking that works and talk about prepaid TMobile...it really makes me think about getting an iPhone.

6. tomrinny macrumors member

Yeah, I need to know also if it will work with the net. This is the deciding factor on me getting an iPhone.

7. daysleeper macrumors member

So, if I want a prepaid t-mobile sim card, I can just go to a t-mobile store and buy one for $10? I don't need to buy a phone too?

I also would like to know about data on the prepaid card. I can't find anything on that.

8. rjflyn macrumors regular

Typically you can only find the prepaid SIM cards sold with a phone. But then again you can sell the phone on ebay, for example a couple years ago I had a Nokia 6010 I got for $30, I unlocked it, kept the SIM card, sold the phone for like $40 at the time and came out a head.

I am still trying to figure out the data question however, see my question in the large unlocking post. I like the 10cents a min based on the $100 refill card with the 1 year expiration date on those mins but, the only thing I can find for data is some Sidekick plan that is $1.00 a day unlimited data/email and 15cents min for calls and for that based on my minute use is going to run $60/mo- I estimate a 1000 min refill otherwise will last me about 3 months. i might as well go with a regular plan if I have to pay for data at $1/day.

For what its worth the prepaid mins expire at 90 days until you have bought $100 then they last a year and rest to another year with each purchase.

Rj

9. mkstewartesq@co macrumors regular

Actually, my experience is the opposite. I went into a TMobile store day before yesterday to buy a prepaid SIM for my daughter to use in a phone we already had - guy told me it was no problem and that they routinely sell the SIM-only. I was able to buy the prepaid SIM by itself for $10 (included 10 minutes of calling) and I added 130 munites on top of that for a total of $35 plus tax, all activated before I left the store.

M

(edit - just to be clear, I'm not a TMobile customer and never told the salesman I was, so this SIM-only sale wasn't some concession TMobile made to an existing customer. It appears to be their standard practice for anyone coming in off the street.)

10. rjflyn macrumors regular

Let me restate that if you go to a tmobile store you have to ask for about buying a SIM only, they dont advertise the fact you can buy them alone, or display them at all.

Rj

11. marioman38 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Anyone tested EDGE on prepaid Tmobile yet? Does the sidekick $1 unlimited work? It this $1 only on the day that you use your phone, or $1 a day no matter what? Thanks ;)

12. spydr macrumors 6502

spydr

Data cost for Tmobile will be good to know - we have one iPhone and another oldie with prepaid Tmobile, which I am teetering to replace now that I can get another iPhone for so cheap! If it is $1 for unlimited data only on usage dates it will be great. Because the iphone gets wifi at work and office, only on about 10-15 days a month, I envision edge data usage. This will come out quite cheaper than an additional ($50) a month to go for a family plan with AT&T.

iPhone T-mobilers do share your data costs!

13. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

Maybe 10 million sold in 2007! Going long with AAPL.