iPhone Prepaid

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tomrinny, Sep 7, 2008.

1. tomrinny macrumors member

I used to have a prepaid iPhone 1st gen. I got rid of it when my family switched to a verizon family plan. I now want to go back to the iPhone. Its my understanding that the 3G iphone has no prepaid. So I want to buy a 1st gen iphone and activate it on prepaid like I used to have. My question is can I still sign up for the go phone plan i used to have through iTunes?

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I'd assume you could because ATT isn't treating both phones as the same - if you try to activate a 2G iPhone it'll show the iPhone plans online.

3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I wonder if the 999-99-9999 Social Security number trick still works? That's the way I signed up for prepaid with my first gen.

4. tomrinny thread starter macrumors member

Well I need to know for sure. And anyone know where I can find a new in the box 1st gen iphone for cheap?

5. tomrinny thread starter macrumors member

Or could I just get a used iphone 3g thats already activated and use it with go phone service with the data added on? I would just have to get a prepaid sim card correct?

6. tomrinny thread starter macrumors member

7. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

I dont know about the 3G's - I'm actually wondering the same thing; but as for the 2G (1st Gen) - yes, you can still use the PAYG /Pre-paid plans. Thats what I currently do. $20/month unlimited data & $5.00/200 texts.

I got myself a pre-paid SIM, jailbroke/unlocked/activated, etc and its worked since.

8. pxlogs macrumors newbie

It's still possible.

I activated my 1st generation iPhone 2 weeks ago with a prepaid plan using iTunes. The old 999-9999-999 SSN trick doesn't work... I just made up a SSN, think I used 900-0000-000 something like that. The thing is, that you can still activate them with a prepaid plan. Mine is working perfectly. :)

9. tomrinny thread starter macrumors member

Good to know. I used one I found online that AT&T actually gives to people with no SSN. Anyway I am kind of gearing to the 3g. The area I live in just got 3g and gps is an added bonus.

10. Inukami macrumors 6502

Just canceled my contract, finishes on the 16th. I bought TurboSIM v2 already, don't know if i should go with ATT prepaid or T-mobile prepaid =x

11. tomrinny thread starter macrumors member

Keep in mind that T-Mobile has no 3G. ATT prepaid was good when I had it. It was better than I expected