iPhone price drop, I was fine, Logic change, I am livid

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gotzero, Sep 12, 2007.

1. gotzero macrumors 68040

Last week, I learned that the two month old iPhone I purchased was now no longer being made, and there was a huge price drop. That was fine, I bought what I wanted at a price that was fine, and life goes on.

Now I find that Logic 7, the reason why I got a Mac in the first place, is being replaced. My outlay for Logic 7 was $1000. If they wanted to drop the price, good for them, it is their choice, and I bought a fantastic program at a price I felt was reasonable.

What is killing me is the upgrade. Here are the total outlays a user would have paid to go from 7-8 in different scenarios:

Logic Pro to Logic Studio: $1200 ($1000 plus $200)
    Logic Express to Logic Studio: $600 ($300 plus $300)
    No Logic to Logic Studio: $500 ($500)

I will be paying a 100% price premium over someone updgrading from Logic Express, to get the same end product. Do any other Logic Pro owners find this insane? The upgrade path in the past always charged a premium to upgrade from a more basic version.

I got my money's worth out of Logic several times over, but this pricing just seems absurd to me. I will not be upgrading for awhile anyway, and I will probably just buy the full version and kep Logic 7 to have a platform that I know is safe. I guess they win afterall because my paranoia will result in my spending as much as possible.

2. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Don't forget Logic Pro 7 Academic - Logic Studio: $1000 ($500+500)
    So even people who are in school and opted for all of the features of non-academic, except for the upgrade capability, save $200. I went with non-academic. :(

3. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

My Mac's Worse

What's really bad is the cost of my MacBook Pro. As someone who has had Macs for many years, getting my MBP has cost me:

$1200 (Performa 550) + $600 (used Performa Tower) + $2000 (Pismo) + $1400 (iMac G5) + $2000 (MBP).

So, for my loyalty, I had to pay $6200, or more than 3 times as much, to end up with the same MBP as someone who's coming from nothing.

Apple should have PAID me $2200 to take the MBP from them, so that that newbie and I would have paid the same amount in total to end up at the same place.

;)

It's OK to be hurt, but you have to keep in mind that it's all in how you look at the numbers. You have a $1000 piece of software with all the bells and whistles. Someone with Express has a lesser tool. Someone with nothing has no tool. Now Apple has a new product with a drastically reduced rate. Because you've been a loyal customer, they're giving it to you for only 40 percent of the new cost (or, even better, 20 percent of what you once believed the software to be worth). A 20 percent upgrade cost isn't too shabby if you believe the added features to be worth upgrading.

So, switch those numbers around and be happy. Life's too short to do otherwise.

:)

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I can't say I understand what your problem is.

Yes, they dropped the price. Yes, people who got Logic Express 7 can upgrade to Studio 8 for a smaller total amount than you can. Yes, first time buyers get it even cheaper.

So what? Logic 7 was worth the price you paid for it. You said it yourself.

Think how people must feel who bought Shake for several thousand dollars just to see Apple reduce the price to the hundreds. Is it a bad thing? Not at all.

These things happen all the time. Think of the housing market. Sometimes you buy a house when they are expensive only to see the value drop sometimes you buy cheap only to see the value rise. It's just a fact of life.

As far as I know the upgrade to Logic Studio 8 leaves your Logic Pro 7 install intact.