iPhone price drop?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mleibowi, Jul 23, 2008.

1. mleibowi macrumors member

I'm planning on buying the iPhone, but I will be leaving the US for a 1 month or so. Has anyone heard or thinks that apple may drop the price of the iPhone within a month or so?

2. cMacSW macrumors regular

They're not likely to do that again after the complaints from last year.

3. yode macrumors 6502

wasn't the iPhone just released this month...

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Unless if you are looking for a refurb in about 2 months, then hell has a higher chance of freezing over. The price for the phone itself is amazing as is, you aren't going to ever see it get much lower.

5. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

wait...wat? :eek:

again?... no, really. Then, who would want one...it would become the razr of touchscreen phones instead of the most coveted phone.

6. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

Why would they drop the price?
    They now cost less to manufacture.
    Apple is making more profit now with the subsidy.
    And it's claimed that they are selling twice as fast as the original.
    Plus now being sold almost Worldwide.

Why on Earth would they want to drop the price?

7. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

thats just plain stupid why would they drop the price

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I think they will be giving several hundred free ones out on the day you arrive. Would you mind grabbing me one. I'll send you money for postage. I don't expect there will be much of a line.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Given the uproar that the last price cut caused with the 1G iPhone, it is very unlikely that they will do this again.

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They have been free since the 11th of July. ;)

11. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

So to you it is something of a statement, not a phone.

12. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

The poeple compaining then were stupid. The iphone is so cheap now i cant imagine it getting cheaper (anytime soon).

13. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I thought they had a legitimate argument

14. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

and what would that be? How does the price drop really afect them. it does not change what they paid.

15. mleibowi thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate all of your responses, some insightful, others flat out rude. It's easy to be a prick when typing anonymously into a forum. Go outside, get some sunshine, and grow up.

16. Archie- macrumors regular

I believe the iPhone does not get any special treatment now? In that case, most phones drop in price as time goes on. There is the early adopter price, then the small discount, then the mainstream price, then the free on contract price, then the pay as you go price.

If the iPhone is being treated like every other phone, it should also drop in price soon, and continue getting cheaper as time goes on.

I remember last year, when everyone said Apple never drops prices, just releases new models, and everyone was wrong in the end.

I don't think people know the new Apple anymore. All the predictions based on old knowledge and experience are turning out to be wrong.

17. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

But the iPhone isn't being treated like every other phone, it is a phone that is like no other and the original price reflected that, and they surely won't drop the price. You can't base the iPhone's price trends based on other standard phones, using any Apple product is using a product of luxury, and the prices and price habits reflect that. There will never be a "free with contract price," that is a practice used by other boring standard phones, not the iPhone. You need to understand one thing, the iPhone is not being treated like every other phone.

The price last year dropped because it was frankly a little outrageous, I know that I am sounding a little bit self-contradictory with this and my last statement, but the original price was too high for the average person, that move was done under Apple's reasons for sale, not generic cellphone pricing standards.

This isn't a new Apple, well okay it is, they are greater and better, but you are trying to say that they are new by trying to be like everybody else, when that is 100% incorrect. People understand Apple fine, it is you that does not understand them.

18. Archie- macrumors regular

The iPhone is already free on contract in Europe.

There are many people who consider paying for a phone on contract also outrageous, and there are many people who refuse to buy a phone on contract at all. In UK 60% of the population are on Pay as you go. If you want to tap that population the iPhone will have to go there too. And they will.

Lets see examples of where Apple fans were widely wrong recently - iPod phatty, price drops, plastic back, multiple carriers per country, releasing a phone with poor battery life and buggy firmware.

Maybe you don't know Apple as well as you thought.