iPhone price in Australia?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryan.stewie, Apr 4, 2008.

1. ryan.stewie macrumors regular

ryan.stewie

The iPhone is more than likely going to be released here in Australia soon, but what i'm worried about is the price of the plans. Here in australia most phone plans dont come with internet browsing even though our country is 100% covered in Next G (3G). the cheapest phone plans (no data) are $20AU ($18US) and in those plans you play 50cents AU (48 cents US) per 30 seconds of talk and the data plans, which are on top of your talk plan are $30 ($27US) for 80MB, yes 80 megabytes so in total for a terrible talk plan and a ridiculous data plan is $50AU and $45US. My question is how the hell is apple going to market a phone that relies heavily on internet access when the data plans and phone plans are ridiculously expensive and you have to buy the phone in Australia abou 99% of our phones are $0 on a $29AU plan for 12 mnths not $600 for the phone with a $100 mnth plan for 12mnths. How will they do it?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Apple has not released the iPhone in countries that the carriers don't offer an unlimited data plan.

See Canada.

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

How do you know the iPhone is going to be released soon? (I'm not Australian so forgive me if there's been something about it!)

Aren't crappy data plans why the phone hasn't been launched in Canada? I would assume that Apple wouldn't sell a phone that has it's internet surfing abilities touted heavily in a place where data plans are ridiculously priced / not available. I guess Apple would have to work it out with a carrier, if possible.

4. ryan.stewie thread starter macrumors regular

ryan.stewie

I didnt say i know that its going to be released, i said its likely (3g iphone+australias great 3g) and singtel owner of optus australia is planning to get the contract for singapore so maybe then they will bring it to australia, but with our crap phone plans it is actually EXTREMELY likely to NEVER, EVER be released here.
    EDIT: Actually ive found something promising, with telstra you can get a hiptop slider phone plan for $30 ($27US) and you get unlimited data (weird huh?) unlimited SMS, unlimited email, unlimited IM, and $0.30cents (27 cents US) per 30 secs of talk. Maybe this could be what they do with iPhone?