Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Hi,

Someone I know will buy me an iPhone at the NY apple store, does the iPhone cost 400$+8.375% sales tax there? or just 400$?

Thanks,

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Tell your friend just to drive 7 hrs up to NH, no sales tax there! :p

Actually, Delaware is only 2 hours away, which also has no sales tax. :)

However, a round trip to the Delaware Apple store from Manhattan is about a tank of gas (250 miles). With the NY tax being $33.50, and a tank of gas costing about the same, I would say save yourself the four-hour round trip and just buy it in New York. Obviously driving to New Hampshire would be even worse.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Geez, how about just pay the $33 in tax and not drive 4 hours and spend $50 in gas and tolls to save $33. :rolleyes:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Ah right, I forgot that he would be driving through toll roads in either direction. So it makes even less sense to go on a roadtrip to buy an iPhone than just pay the tax in New York.

jersey

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
Lets see ...... as you are probably from Not-America, is the extra $32 put into our failing economy really too much to ask of you?

/assumes you not in the U.S. as someone here would just order it online if there wasnt an Apple store around? /

MiLK©

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
Ehhh... most of us were born into it, so its normal for us :p:D

Yeah, I actually lived in USA for 2 years and I found the tax thing as a UKer really annoying!! Like if I see something for $5 and I have a $5 note, I wanna be able to buy it...but nonono.....TAX! haha, but your right, I guess it just becomes natural if you grow up there :p

On an offtopic sidenote - which states have the lowest and highest taxes, and how much are they?

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
TY :)

So Oregon and Montana are the places to be! I used to live in Chicago, so pretty high there....7.6%...

Almost 10% in Tennessee...that would hurt :(

New Hampshire and Delaware are also 0%. I used to live in Massachusetts, so NH was less than an hour away.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan

So Oregon and Montana are the places to be! I used to live in Chicago, so pretty high there....7.6%...

There are other tax considerations as well when living in the US. There are city sales taxes, state and city income tax and property tax.

Tennessee might have high sales tax but no income tax and relative low property tax.

ps49556n

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
That sucks that your tax in US isn't included in the price main price..

Hmm I have never heard of this....where is tax included in the price?????

To the OP....what kind of question is that???? Why would you think an iphone is not subject to sales taX????:confused::confused::confused:

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
Pretty much most other countries quote their prices with tax already included. Thus, the price you see is the price you pay.

Another way of looking at it is that in other countries the tax is hidden, whereas in the US we're reminded of it with every purchase.

MiLK©

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
Pretty much most other countries quote their prices with tax already included. Thus, the price you see is the price you pay.

Yes, thats what I meant. Eg. If a product says £99.99 on the label, then thats the price you pay at the till.

Obviously the tax is theoretically seperate, but its always quoted in the price as you see it.

ie. VAT in UK.

zinj

macrumors member
May 23, 2007

It does hurt :( Especially for us shopping freaks like myself. When I bought my macbook pro, tax was ridiculous. Could've bought a brand new ipod for that price :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.