iPhone Price on an Early Upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Contemplating selling my 3GS now then getting the new 4G in June, however I have one question. If I sell it, I have a BB Bold 9000 to use in the meantime, but what is the price that you usually pay for an early upgrade after one year.

I know it may be different but by the time the new one comes out mine will be a year old, so I will only have a year left on my contract.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Noone knows what type of pricing will be offered.
    They probably haven't decided yet either:)

3. JReynolds macrumors 6502

I did exactly what you're doing last year. If the pricing is the same as last year, I paid $499 for an early upgrade 3GS 32 GB.

Sold my iPhone 3G for $300. paid $500 for 3GS...BEST DEAL EVER. I paid $200 for a 32GB 3GS...

4. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Yeah I have been debating this but then if the new one is really not earth shattering, I don't want to waste money, I really like my 3GS but I have the ability to use a BB Bold for free even if I decided not to replace my iPhone but then again why would I not do that.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's your money, your phone.
    You basicly decide what you want.

6. Uabcar macrumors 6502

I'm considering the same thing. Given all the new competition- competition that's actually compelling enough for many to consider switching - I think its fairly likely that the 4th gen iPhone will be a significant update.

What happens if I sell my phone in May and hold the SIM for a month. Will that cause a problem with AT&T?

7. troop231 macrumors 603

Nothing lol, ATT could care less what you do with that SIM, since you are still paying them monthly it will be like nothing ever happened.

8. Uabcar macrumors 6502

Cool- thanks. Just don't want to get hit with some sort of ETF that's somehow triggered by not having an active phone for 4 weeks or something.

9. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Add $200 for each year you have before the contract is up. That was about how it worked last year.

16gb 3GS was 199 right, early upgrade (1 year left) was 399, no contract was 599.

Fyi, that $200 extra you pay is a quasi ETF (meaning they aren't subsidizing as much of the cost but you get locked into a new 2 year agreement)

10. azsprty macrumors 6502

I will be doing the same thing. Selling my 3Gs and hoping I only have to pay a small fee to get the new phone in june