Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Hello there

Based on previous iPhone launches, do you know when comes batch 2? Will it come automatically with iOS 13.1 or 13.2 already installed?

I’m planning to buy it next month or in December.

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
Whatever the latest iOS is available to the public, is what the phone will ship with, as long as it wasn’t manufactured before the latest iOS was available. So if it ships with 13.1, and 13.1.1 is the latest, that just means 13.1 was the latest at the time it was manufactured.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elitegate

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Thanks. So to confirm, batch 2 will have 13.1 or 13.2 pre-installed.

Last year, do we know when batch 2 hit the shelves?

Khorn

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2013
Germany
Why do you care which iOS version it will ship with?
If you don't want to restore to an old version and don't have iTunes to update, just set up as new, update and then reset.

If you want to know when the iPhone was manufactured just check the serial number to get the calendar week.

Reactions: Elitegate

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
There are no “batches”. They’re in constant production.

If you’re that worried about it, wait a couple months after the next software release and go to a store with high volume. Buy a popular model and maybe you’ll get lucky.
Definitely this, there is no actual batch as they are in constant production. But as the demand dies down, so does the production will cut down and therefore it's not being rushed and have issues. Personally though, I have had great experiences with early productions with no problems.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
You'd have to wait at least 2-3 months if you want to skip the initial 'batch'.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Ok. We can expect Batch 2 hopefully beginning of December. I don’t think it is safe to jump on the new product once released, better wait a few weeks.

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
Ok. We can expect Batch 2 hopefully beginning of December. I don’t think it is safe to jump on the new product once released, better wait a few weeks.
As others already said, there is no such thing as a batch 2 or 3 or something. iPhone are produced continiously and the process (production, QC, packaging etc) is standardized and always the same.

A fried of mine bought a brand new iPhone 8 just last week witch was produced in calender week 33 of 2019 (so mid august). It had two dead pixels right out of the box. Must be batch 11 or 12 by now ?

Defects happen on the very first and very last units of a mass produced piece of hardware.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
That’s a defect. I’m talking about known issues that could rise with the first batch. If such thing could happen, there is no way that would not be improved on a production line.

I’m not familiar with how these products are built but over time I’m sure there are improvements made. Therefore I tend to believe that there are different batches like there are different revisions.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
That’s a defect. I’m talking about known issues that could rise with the first batch. If such thing could happen, there is no way that would not be improved on a production line.

I’m not familiar with how these products are built but over time I’m sure there are improvements made. Therefore I tend to believe that there are different batches like there are different revisions.
Again, THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A BATCH. Sorry to come across as an ass, but there's no way to ensure the iPhone you purchase is not an early produced phone. It's random luck of the draw. You can wait a year and still end up with a phone that was an early produced unit. Now if there issues with your iPhone, and in fact you end up with a lemon, Apple is very good at resolving issues with their products.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Please, all apologies, but I do not agree to disagree that's a stupid saying, there's no disagreement here, please understand what people in your thread have said. There's no such thing as a "batch" and there's no way to ensure you're buying a early or late production model. It's totally random

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Please, all apologies, but I do not agree to disagree that's a stupid saying, there's no disagreement here, please understand what people in your thread have said. There's no such thing as a "batch" and there's no way to ensure you're buying a early or late production model. It's totally random
Agreed, no such thing as a "batch". These phones are being built on a mass production.

Purchased XS Max back in June for my father, and ended up getting one that was built in October. So totally random and guess what? No issues from what he's been reporting.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Agreed, no such thing as a "batch". These phones are being built on a mass production.

Purchased XS Max back in June for my father, and ended up getting one that was built in October. So totally random and guess what? No issues from what he's been reporting.
Absolutely correct, and if in fact you did end up with a phone with issues, Apple is good at resolving those issues.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
I think there are batches, guy. See iPhone 6S recall program? It’s a proof.
Component defects can come up at any time in production. It can happen early or late in the production cycle. Apple has a solid track record for supporting their products, even after warranty expires(your example above). I understand your point of view, but my thoughts are that it is just as easy to have a manufacturing defect later as it is earlier. AppleCare is your friend.:)

Reactions: Bethanie21

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Sure but my point was to demonstrate there are batches & revision as this product recall is limited by manufacturing dates. So I would assume it is the same for the new iPhone. Maybe they change some components over times but I don’t have info about this.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
We don’t know what issues this well known exterior design and components might have in this generation.
I’d also caution anybody to automatically assume that every generation has batches as that’s just guessing. The shipped os version is certainly not indicative of a batch number.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Sure but my point was to demonstrate there are batches & revision as this product recall is limited by manufacturing dates. So I would assume it is the same for the new iPhone. Maybe they change some components over times but I don’t have info about this.

Manufacturing dates for discrete components like a battery is not the same as engineering revisions of the product that the components go into.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone

Wait.....you are not familiar, but you are sure. So you believe. Sounds like a religion.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
I think we are good to go with the iphone 11’s or 11 Pro’s

This is not a new design.

mine has been incredibly reliable and Very much mechanically solid! My Pro Max is from launch day. I did reset it recently just because I originally setup my launch day pro Max from a backup that was from another device.

My screen is not yellow or warm unless I have on True Tone.

I never even considered exchanging my phone, or returning it! I love the phone and the color too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.