iPhone Pro?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FtrV8, Sep 8, 2010.

1. FtrV8 macrumors regular

FtrV8

Sorry in advance if this is discussed already.

Since iPhone is one of Apple's cash cows, what are the chances that Jobs green lights an iPhone Pro model. I'd be willing to fork out up to $1,000 for one, if the specs are right.

Dual core CPUs (Tegra 2 and Samsung's Orion), are on the horizon...

2. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

I can't see this happening, mainly because of the App store, it would cause a lot of fragmentation as developers would create apps that only work for the "Pro" phone so people with the normal phone wouldn't be able to play them, it would just end up a complete mess IMO

3. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I agree with this, I can't see this happening. I think the only different models Apple will ever offer for the iPhone will be different capacities. But you never know with Apple!

4. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

Dual core? Does iOS really need speeding up?
    And what he said ^^

5. 184550 Guest

Perhaps then this iPhone Pro could be supported mainly with productivity apps developed by Apple and a few other select developer who would agree to continue support both of the iPhone Pro and iPhone consumer models?

This would defiantly give them cause to charge significantly more for the the Pro.

6. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

It would just end up as the Pro being next year's normal model and them making a Pro 2...same as we have iPhone 4 and 3GS was the last model.
    Just pretend your iPhone 4 is called the iPhone Pro :)

7. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

If you're shelling out $1000 for a phone, there is a loss of priorities. At that price, you might as well get a laptop and a pay to go phone or something. A pro version as you described would be overkill as such technology in a phone is really unnecessary.

8. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

lol, true. Or just buy an iPhone 4 and iPad...

9. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

Not a good idea. One of the reasons I chose ios over android is the level playing field and lack of fragmentation.

10. JaSuS macrumors regular

JaSuS

11. FerdiV macrumors member

I think the iPhone 4 is already Pro and is the best phone out now. Don't see why we need a better one either. Stupid topic imo.

12. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Much like the MacBook & MacBook Pro offerings I believe that Apple would have a market for a regular iPhone as we have it now, and a iPhone Pro with a slightly larger footprint to accommodate a 4" display. I've been using both an iPhone 4 and Captivate with it's 4" display and find that display size to be extremely beneficial when on the web, or when composing emails with the phone in the landscape position. there is more room in the composition window above the keyboard to see additional lines of text and more room for your fingers to scroll the display.

It's funny what one becomes accustomed too. At first I thought it was a luxury to have that size of display, now it seems like a normal size. Working with my iPhone 4 now seems cramped. There would be very little increase in the overall size of the phone as well. Since Apple is well know for small devices I believe they could include a 4" display with only a few extra millimeters in width and length. Ad a millimeter or two to the thickness for a larger batter, then offer SWYPE, for an additional input choice and I do think it would influence many people who are not iPhone users to buy Apple.

Speaking only for myself, I know that SWYPE was a shocker.. a really great app that gives you a slightly different keyboard layout, then allows you to "glide" your finger along the keys instead of tapping them, to compose words and messages. Once I used a BlackBerry for a few years and never though I could get along with a touchscreen keyboard. I was right, given the huge number of emails I handle on my phone, the virtual keyboard was not very popular with me. SWYPE on the other hand is every bit as fast as a physical keyboard. In my case it's a lot faster. A feature that will be a deciding factor, going forward as to what phone I buy.

13. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

a factory unlocked iPhone 4 costs nearly $1000 anyways...$880 here in ontario canada...was it worth it? come next year it will!

14. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

only if you wanted a brick size phone again...