iPhone problem and the beginning of the end

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JPS, Jun 27, 2008.

1. JPS macrumors regular

My problem is that I live on a fringe area of AT&T coverage. In my home office I have zero phone reception; upstairs I have a bar if I'm lucky. Out on the street--nothing.

Unless the new phone is designed to pull in signals a lot more effectively, I may be forced to go to Verizon and, true Apple fan and user as I am, pick up a Blackberry. My main concern is how well or ill it is to sync the BB with my MacBook. Can anyone here break ranks and discuss this issue with a potential renegade (again, unless Apple has redesigned a better antenna).

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

One of the reasons the new iPhone has a plastic back is to improve signal strength - apparently Apple have spent a lot of time optimizing the aerials to maximize the signal. Whether it will be enough or not is another matter, but I'd recommend waiting a couple of weeks until the launch to see if they really have made a big difference

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

if those reception issues are with the current iphone, you may be in luck, as the new iphone has the plastic back which improves reception
    you may be able to buy and see, and if there still is no network, take it back

Phil A seems to have beaten me!

4. JPS thread starter macrumors regular

Well, then, I can come out of mourning! I would of course far prefer an iPhone, and I will wait and buy and see. I know there's a 30-day return period.

Thanks for the heads-up!

5. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Had a BB Pearl and it would not do ANYTHING with my MacBook. Its software is Windows only (unless there is a way, I did not try hard at all to get it to work FYI, others may have had a better experience, but I hated mine.)

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I feel your pain, b/c I'm in the same boat but I've got 2-3 bars in my house, and sometimes "No Service" pops up. Same situation with Sprint, VZ, Alltel, MetroPCS and just about every other carrier that exists in my neighborhood. At the top of the hill at the end of my street = full bars, my driveway 2-3 bars and about the same in my house. At least you have an alternative carrier(s), while I'm hoping the 3G iPhone and it's plastic backing will produce better reception. Though the reception has been better with AT&T v. Sprint, I can at least leave the iPhone in the same part of the house and use my BT with more consistency than before. Sorry, no comment on the BB thing...

7. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Another option (albeit somewhat expensive) is to get a 3G cell repeater. I think they go for around $300. You say you can get SOME limited signal there, so with the repeater, it picks up that signal and then repeats (think like a Wifi Router does) so you have great signal all around your home.

Just an option...

8. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I live in San Diego and have full strength 95% of the time. I spent this last week with family in San Bernardino County. There I had 1 bar and had to use the landline most of the time. I hope the new iPhone gets better reception so when I do go to my parents house, I will be able to use my mobile phone.

9. Kupe macrumors member

You didn't try very hard with your BB did you? Choose PocketMac at this Blackberry link (hint: It's the first software listed. ;) ) for free software. You can find download links for PocketMac's mac-synchronization software at Blackberry site, Apple site, here in these forums, pretty well anywhere. You can also purchase Missing Sync for $40. They both work - I feel Missing Sync has more functionality.

Windows only - riiiight! :rolleyes:

10. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

11. JPS thread starter macrumors regular

This isn't in deep country, by any means. Twenty-odd miles north of Boston. And I really don't want to spend the money and go through the hassle of installing any extra devices in the home.

12. aristobrat macrumors G5

There's also a chance that while AT&T's 2G coverage in your house kind of sucks at the moment, AT&T's 3G network may cover your house better. The iPhone 3G should be able to use whichever network is the strongest.

13. JPS thread starter macrumors regular

But from what I understand, 3G has no bearing on telephone reception; and at home I of course have a wireless network to cover data transfers.

Or am I mistaken about 3G...?

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, I agree. The AT&T coverage map shows Dark Orange at the top of my street and Light Orange (moderate coverage) around my house. 3G isn't any better. I live next to the water and in the middle of a dip/valley, so it's always been moderate coverage. Oh well, my next house will be determined by my 3G iPhone coverage map! LOL :p

15. JPS thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, but the question remains: does 3G affect phone performance?

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'll let you know on July 11th, '08! LOL :p