Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Hello everyone, my friend and I think we beat the world record for number of iPhones that are defective

The iPhone 5S mentioned has been swamped out 3 times internal screen damage and poor quality, and one screen replacement due to dust.

Here is the list.

2 iPhone 6 128GB with the Cresent Gate. One Gold. One Space Grey

1 iPhone 6 128GB with home button loose Gold

1 iPhone 6 Plus 64GB with the Cresent gate and poor coating on the home button only if your hand is warm, and some very sell them not recognized touch sensitive. Space Grey Launch Day

1 iPhone 5S 64GB with backlight bleed still has warranty Space grey

1 iPhone 5 64GB with sleep wake problem recall Eligible but hanging on one side on its last leg kinda still working

1 iPhone 4S with major backlight leak

Does anyone think this is kinda berserk, these phones aren't cheap and have poor quality control with new and refubished phone. Does anyone else find poor quality control.

Post you iPhone list. All these phone have warranty or have a eligible recall and can be replaced or repaired. Expect the iPhone 4S.

Will be heading to the Apple Store tomorrow or you can say today. For the iPhone 6 plus and iPhone 5S and maybe the others.

What could cause a poor coating on the iPhone 6 plus home button. BTW I don't use lotion.

Thank you for reading

Post you list.

Last edited:

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I guess my family is just the opposite from yours. We've been buying iphones since the 3G and we've not had one that had a problem or had a phone to be replaced or didn't work or had an issue that needed to be addressed. None of us has even spoken to a Genius for anything other than purchases and a replacement silicone case due to the corners peeling issue. Between my husband and I and my daughters and husbands, we're looking at around 11 iPhones. Additionally, you can add 9 IPads with no issues as well.

Now have I experienced an occasional lag with the Plus, definitely enough to say it or the software isn't up to par with my prior phones. I haven't experienced any resets or the reloading of tabs. The only issue for me has been a lag in rotation when using messages from time to time.

Also, I can say the I am a bit anal with my electronics and would be complaining if I had a problem.

Considering all your problems, I'm truly hoping my good luck continues. If I had all your product issues, I wouldn't have the patience to continue with iPhones and would have tried an Android product.

ckc

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2010
I guess my family is just the opposite from yours. We've been buying iphones since the 3G and we've not had one that had a problem or had a phone to be replaced or didn't work or had an issue that needed to be addressed. None of us has even spoken to a Genius for anything other than purchases and a replacement silicone case due to the corners peeling issue. Between my husband and I and my daughters and husbands, we're looking at around 11 iPhones. Additionally, you can add 9 IPads with no issues as well.

Now have I experienced an occasional lag with the Plus, definitely enough to say it or the software isn't up to par with my prior phones. I haven't experienced any resets or the reloading of tabs. The only issue for me has been a lag in rotation when using messages from time to time.

Also, I can say the I am a bit anal with my electronics and would be complaining if I had a problem.

Considering all your problems, I'm truly hoping my good luck continues. If I had all your product issues, I wouldn't have the patience to continue with iPhones and would have tried an Android product.

Same as above.

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
On the phone with Apple with a senior advisor since the Genius Bar believes this is no big issu, as long as it doesn't affect the use of the phone. It doesn't need a repair or replacement

PanAm-L1011

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Republic of California
I have had iPhone 1, 3, 3G, 4, 5 and 6 plus and the only problem I ever had was the casing cracking on the 3. Sometimes I think people look for problems and are overly picky.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Well I've owned the 3G, 4, 5S and 6 plus. The only one I ever had an issue with was the 3G, the home button stopped working after 11 months. Apple switched it out no questions asked. Since then I've had no problems.

I've also owned the original iPad mini, the iPad air, the iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3 and the iPad air 2, 2 different models of the iPod touch 5th gen. I've not had any issues with any of them.

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Update had a long talk with Apple and several senior advisors, they said they'll said they'll do a force replacement, do a one time exception, well I wish I used the one time exception on my ghosting MacBook pro, but hey new iPhone.

Overall my my experience is like everyone else, they over the the best service to make the customer.

And that only the iPhone list.

iPad list

IPad 2 was scratched by the Smart Cover

iPad 4 had 5 replacement swaps

ama0219

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
Greensboro, NC
Never had any issues out of mine or my fiance's phones until my 6. Something in the screen went wrong and had to be replaced. Ended up getting a 6 plus and selling my 6. No issues out of either 6 plus or the 4 I had before. Fiance's 4 was replaced a couple of times.

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Never had any issues out of mine or my fiance's phones until my 6. Something in the screen went wrong and had to be replaced. Ended up getting a 6 plus and selling my 6. No issues out of either 6 plus or the 4 I had before. Fiance's 4 was replaced a couple of times.

was your replacement a full swap out?

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
I think they only do a replacement if something besides the the screen is bad. But I'm getting a replacement. I wonder if it will be refurbished or new

All the guy could've said was well replace the screen, but the gut had to make a big deal about it, and said there is nothing wrong with it.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
i bet it would be refurbished. Depends if they have any in stock

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Wow! Now the Apple store is like I don't see anything wrong and we CAN'T do the one time exception/ force the replacement. I'm like trying to figure out what to do now. This is absolutely crazy now. Apple Store ************ is one of the worst Apple stores I've ever been in.

My iPhone 5S uneven backlight was almost rejected from its defect, the guy was very mean, and didn't want to help me out at all. It had to take another set of eyes to figure this problem out. I've had 2 replacement devices and 2 screen swaps on this device.

The iPhone 6 plus has also been rejected, not once but twice!

My only other choice is to mail it in, and have the expedided shipping fee waived. Has anyone ran into this problem?

They didn't even want to replace my lighting cable because the end of the cables were sagging a bit. And he said this is caused because i pulled the cable off my device incorrectly. Like what does that suppose to mean?. I don't know how to take a cable off correctly? Seriously this Apple store is such a frustration to me now.

Please help. Should ask Apple for some type of complementary gift card, a brand new iPhone sealed or something like this after my tough experience or should I just let it go.

Thanks in advance :)

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Wow! Now the Apple store is like I don't see anything wrong and we CAN'T do the one time exception/ force the replacement. I'm like trying to figure out what to do now. This is absolutely crazy now. Apple Store ************ is one of the worst Apple stores I've ever been in.

My iPhone 5S uneven backlight was almost rejected from its defect, the guy was very mean, and didn't want to help me out at all. It had to take another set of eyes to figure this problem out. I've had 2 replacement devices and 2 screen swaps on this device.

The iPhone 6 plus has also been rejected, not once but twice!

My only other choice is to mail it in, and have the expedided shipping fee waived. Has anyone ran into this problem?

They didn't even want to replace my lighting cable because the end of the cables were sagging a bit. And he said this is caused because i pulled the cable off my device incorrectly. Like what does that suppose to mean?. I don't know how to take a cable off correctly? Seriously this Apple store is such a frustration to me now.

Please help. Should ask Apple for some type of complementary gift card, a brand new iPhone sealed or something like this after my tough experience or should I just let it go.

Thanks in advance :)

Replacement of your device is up to the Apple Store. Apple knows that no matter what they do they can not make everyone happy. Sounds like they have already replaced your device multiple times and sooner or later that WILL draw the line and say no.

Sorry but your last paragraph makes it sound like Apple owes you something while is sounds like they have gone to great lengths to make you happy.

In the end Apple can not make everyone happy.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Maybe you are just more picky than some of us. Im sure that if I really went over my iPhone I would find issues with it.

I hope you get it sorted.

TMacGuy

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2015

I am guessing you are visiting Apple Store's in Toronto...

Only had issues with them for the most part. I only deal with AASP's/Phone support in city. Sometimes I'll go to SQ1 in Mississauga.

Check out Beach/River/BloorMac. If you are in Toronto. Their pretty good and do iPhone repairs/swaps service under AppleCare

-TM

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
I am guessing you are visiting Apple Store's in Toronto...

Only had issues with them for the most part. I only deal with AASP's/Phone support in city. Sometimes I'll go to SQ1 in Mississauga.

Check out Beach/River/BloorMac. If you are in Toronto. Their pretty good and do iPhone repairs/swaps service under AppleCare

-TM

No London Masionville

I think my only option is to go to mail it in since they are the only people able to override them

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Hi everyone I hd finally received my one time exception

And will be he tomorrow. That was quick. And also received a free lighting cable!

I checked the new serial number and it check out to 5th week of February. is this new?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
iPhone 3G - Perfect, no replacement. (1 Phone)
iPhone 3GS - 1 Bad GPS Chip. (2 Phones)
iPhone 4 - Perfect, no replacement. (1 Phone)
iPhone 4s - 4 replacements, all faulty vibrate motor/yellow screen. 5th and final 4s lock button ended up breaking right out of warranty. (6 Phones)
iPhone 5 - Faulty Sim Card Reader, 1 replacement. (2 Phones)
iPhone 5s - 1 bad battery, 1 flickering screen. (3 Phones)
iPhone 6 - Perfect, no replacement. (1 Phone)
iPhone 6s - 1 uneven screen color, 1 chip in aluminum body. (3 Phones)

So out of the 8 different iPhone models I have owned, I had a total of 19 phones. So on average more than one replacement per model. It happens. You're talking about millions of phones being made at a time, a few will slip through. Clearly I've had the most problem with 'S' models. My iPhone 5 is the only non-'S' model to get a replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.