iPhone problem: touching volume control during incoming call cancels ringer

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mrjarvie, Oct 23, 2008.

1. mrjarvie macrumors member

Hello folks,

The problem:
    I have a relatively tight case - the iphone slides in from the top. When the iphone is in the case the volume buttons are depressed as the case is so tight. When ever I receive a call, upon removing the iphone from the case to answer the call, the volume buttons are being pressed due to the tight case, which causes the call alert (ringtone) to cease. The iphone sometimes behaves strangely after this - as sometimes i am not able to answer the call successfully.

Does anyone know if there is a piece of software available (on cydia or installer) that disables the volume control on the side of the iphone during incoming calls?
    Has no one else had trouble with this?

Cheers.

2. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

That's not a bug, it's a feature.

Seriously, it's there so that you can cancel the sound if you don't want to take a call.

When you say that you experience erattic behaviour from your phone, what specifically do you mean?

3. mrjarvie thread starter macrumors member

Are you telling me that Apple have given the user the option to mute incoming call notifications in three different ways (vol up button, vol down button and the dedicated mute toggle switch)? The volume control is 2mm from the mute toggle switch - would you think it necessary to have two 'features' in such close proximity providing the same function during an incoming call?

The mute toggle switch is obviously the feature here. It's a switch after all, not a button one could press accidentally on grabbing their phone from their pocket/bag/case.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

4 ways, actually. If you tap the power button once, it mutes the ringer. If you tap the power button twice, it send the call to voice mail.

5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Get another case?

If you are reaching for your phone, you have acknowledged the ringer has done its job, and there should be no problem for it to stop ringing it when you touch buttons.

I leave my phone on buzz 99% of the time, and when I accidently leave it on ring, I want every possible button to silence the ring if I forget!

But, all said, pushing the buttons should have no impact on your ability to answer the phone.

6. mrjarvie thread starter macrumors member

is it possible that pushing any of the volume buttons twice could send the call to voice mail?

7. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Just so you know, this isn't exclusive to the iPhone. I've had many phones, and I don't recall a single one that has not worked this way.

8. acvball92 macrumors regular

acvball92

exactly it's not just the iPhone, it's every other phone. I don't get how you just started noticing this? :)

9. mrjarvie thread starter macrumors member

I've used the 'any key answer' function frequently on old phones, but not so much the any key mute-ringer. I do see its place though. A bit annoying that there is not the option to disable it in settings though - I think an accidental double tap of the volume control is sending my calls to voice mail.

10. VladM macrumors regular

11. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

12. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

Also works if you got the phone on vibrate, just stops the vibration, i use it alot

13. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I just tried calling my iPhone from my home phone and then double tapping the volume control and it doesn't send the call to voice mail.

14. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Not the volume control. Use the sleep button (on the top).