iPhone problems definitely location based.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deannnnn, Aug 30, 2008.

1. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Hey everyone.

Just about every thread on MacRumors right now is about iPhone issues... Well, I'm not writing this to complain, I'm not writing this to bash or praise Apple, I'm just writing to share my opinion and my experiences, as I'm interested to hear what you guys have to say.

A little over a week ago, I moved from Fort Lauderdale, FL to New York City. I bought my 3G iPhone 4 days after launch at the Lincoln Road Apple Store in Miami Beach... I waited in line for 3 hours, but it was worth it for me because the phone worked GREAT. No design flaws, no operating flaws (except for the various little bugs of the firmware). 3G was GREAT. Upgrading from the original iPhone, I saw HUGE differences. I was getting an average of 1.5 Mbps... and I had a great couple of months enjoying the new phone.

Then I moved.

Now that I'm here in New York, I can see all of the problems that people were encountering and complaining about! I'm lucky if I can pull in 0.5 Mbps with 5 bars on 3G... I've been using my phone less because I've been busy exploring the city, yet somehow my battery drains so much faster. My phone constantly switches between Edge & 3G... and occasionally even GPRS... I'm having all the problems that people have been complaining about for months!

So whose fault is it? Apple? AT&T? A mixture of the two?
    Most likely the option number three.
    But both companies can do a lot to improve the end user experience.

It seems like the reason for poor 3G speeds here in New York is due to the insane number of users constantly hogging AT&T's bandwidth. Fort Lauderdale & Miami are pretty densely populated areas, but no where near as much as New York City. As for the poor battery life? Well... New York City has tall buildings with basements and subways... All of which you tend to loose service constantly loose and regain service in. I'm thinking that the phone's constant need to search for the network, connect to it, switch to Edge when the 3G signal fades (or vis vera.. even though that really shouldn't happen at all) all contributes the the battery drain. In Florida, there are no basements, there are no subways. You pretty much connect, and stay connected.

When it comes down to it, I believe that where you live is pretty much the deciding factor in whether or not you will have a good iPhone experience.

As for me, I'm not having second thoughts about buying the phone.
    I'll stick with it till the end! I mean seriously... is there something out there that could give me a better experience? No...
    I just have to get used to it... And hey, I'm still planning on spending a lot of time in Florida... so at least I'll get that high-speed goodness sometimes =)

2. Schmoe0013 macrumors regular

Schmoe0013

I go from 5 bars, to 1 bar in my home just 5 miles away. I definitely do not like the coverage in my area.

3. rwd hero macrumors 6502

I completly agree, i am in Baltimore, Marland. When i first bought my iPhone 3G the service was horrid, but about 2 weeks after i the purchace AT&T upgraded some towers in my area and its like a new phone. I would definatly say a majority of the problems are with AT&T, but aparently apple's 2.0.1 was flawed and 2.0.2 was suppose to fix alot of signal issues as soon as everyone updates.

4. swr2000 macrumors member

I've been critical here in Wilmington, DE but I'll give AT&T credit as I've noticed a drastically improvement in the last 48-72 hours here. Previously I'd get zero 3G reception in several areas by my house. The past two days I've had full 3G signals and the "snappiness" I remember when I first got the phone with page loads.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'll just chime in and say that I completely agree. My brother-in-law bought the 3G iPhone when it came out and gave me his old iPhone as a birthday gift (yeah, he's great). Since he couldn't even try 3G in his area of Virginia he did when he was in Colorado. While visiting he never had a problem and the speed was fantastic. "Easily as fast as my wifi network" were his words.

Even just using my iPhone Edge is pretty fast with 5 bars, which is most of the city where I traverse (MacRumors.com only takes 10 seconds to fully load). I'll admit that the speed takes a huge dump as soon as coverage gets iffy (3 bars and below). Crappily enough that just happens to be where I work. But that's a new part of town so I'll have to give at&t some time to build a tower nearby.

6. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

well I can partly vouch that the problems may be location based. I am down in Philly this weekend and even with five bars i can only average speeds up to 410kbs. Definitely no 1.5 MBs. AT&T sucks balls. NYC speeds suck too so maybe it's the phone or just any place with civilazation

7. deannnnn thread starter macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Take a vacation to Miami ;)

Can anyone from SoFla vouch for the good 3G speeds down there?

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's DEFINITELY location based.

I know this because I experience it every day now, unfortunately. There's about 20 miles distance between my home and work. At both end points, 3g coverage is excellent, and the speeds are wonderful.

But in between the two is this 3 mile wide 3G Data Black Hole, where even though signal strength looks good, you absolutely cannot get any data from 3G, and must switch to EDGE (which for some reason is incredibly zippy in this same area). Some of my friends, the mall where the nearest Apple store is, the grocery store, a couple other places I tend to go on my free time happen to be in this black hole.

it's a recent phenomenon (about a week now). I can only guess that maybe there's a cell site where some tech took all the data connections from the 3G antennas and hooked them all up to the EDGE transmitter. I don't know, but it's annoying as hell.