iPhone problems with reception/phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by simply stunning, Oct 6, 2011.

1. simply stunning macrumors regular

Oct 26, 2010
    So I have a white iPhone 4 that I bought a few months ago, and I have had some problems with it that seam to be getting worse. When I get calls and pick them up sometime the caller can't hear me for maybe 30 seconds, or I have to hang up and call them back. I can hear them fine, but they can't hear me. Or they say I sound distant.

I will be preordering the 4S tomorrow, and the 4 I have will be going to my wife, but last night she said she doesn't want it unless I get it fixed which I was planning on doing.

So my question is this. I will be making a genius appointment, for sometime this weekend, but I can't reproduce the problem even though it happens often, when I ask someone to call me, and or I call someone trying to get it to happen it won't work. So will I have to prove the problem, because if so, I might be waisting my time. Or has anyone had this problem, and how did you handle it? I know that they will have the final say, I'm just looking for some tips.

BTW, my phone is on the latest update, and is without a case, but it doesn't help if I put a case on it, so it isn't that.
  2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

Sep 8, 2011
    Eureka Springs, Arkansas
    One fairly common problem is dirt or "gunk" in the dock connector, apparently causing resistance to make the phone think it's in a dock and shutting off the mic. Or perhaps dirty headphone socket causing it to think mic is plugged in there.

I used a wooden toothpick to carefully wipe the connector in the bottom of my iPhone 4 and took care of a similar problem I was having.