iPhone production

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by quackers82, Aug 14, 2014.

1. quackers82 macrumors 6502

Im just curious, but how does apple handle the software side in iPhone production? In previous years and according to rumours this year the iPhone 6 is in production but iOS 8 is still in beta. So when they have completed the construction of the phone it cannot be boxed and sealed nicely can it as its got to wait for the gold version of iOS 8. Do they just have racks and racks of iPhones in trays awaiting software?

2. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

In Apple's HQ, iOS 8 is ready and has been for a while. Internally, Apple are one, two or possibly three builds ahead of the public.

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Combination of loading as late in the process as possible, loading software before release and doing updates as soon as you get the phone if something really needs the update.

4. cynics macrumors G4

It's likely they are manufactured, crated, shipped, sit somewhere until the software is ready, software loaded, boxed and shipped.

That would be my guess. The last three steps can be done rather quickly.

5. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

Yea, depending how long does boxing and shipping take you can deduct that from the overall time. I cant really see how it would go any other way.

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

The phones are stored in bulk and at the last minute programmed and stuffed in a box for shipping to distribution points.

I saw a picture and there hundreds of trays filled with naked iPhones.

7. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't fancy that job
    Here's 20 million iPhones, put iOS 8 on them by the weekend thanks.

8. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

That's what the Keebler elves are for.