iPhone Pros and Cons (When deciding to Buy)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by obliza, Jun 9, 2009.

1. obliza macrumors newbie

With the upcoming iPhone 3Gs I am considering buying one.

The Pros are endless but from reading a great deal of information on the iPhone I have some worries.

1. Texting
      Texting seems to be a problem with the iPhone, considering I text frequently and am use to the 123,abc,def format and not qwerty for starters and also the keys for the iPhone keyboard are very small making texting very frustrating. I tried using my friends iPhone and it took 20seconds to write "My Name is Steve" whereas i can text extremely quickly with my current phone.
      Also, does anyone know of any plans to add in the 123,abc,def keyboard?
    2. Mass Messaging
      I saw discussion that the iPhone can only send a message to one person at a time is this still the case?
    3. Wireless Internet
      The iPod Touch can connect to wireless internet for free. I have not found clarification to whether the iPhone can connect to wireless internet for free. Can it?
    4. Customization
      One thing I hate about my current phone is I can't do anything to it. No custom message tone, no custom ringtone. It just doesn't let me do anything to it. Is this different for the iPhone?

They are my only concerns at the moment, everything else about the iPhone is amazing and I can't wait to get one.

I also wanted to hear about peoples experiences with there iPhone, things such as

How long it took them to get used to them.

Encountered problems, such as not being able to mass text.

Overall happiness with the iPhone.

Thanks
    Steve

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Texting is a breeze on the iPhone. 3.0 added a landscape keyboard which I love and use all the time. Also, its correction will fix almost any mistake you make. You can type a word and get every single letter wrong, and it will still correct it to the right word. Its very smart like that.

You can send a text to multiple people by selecting them one by one, they get added to the "To" list. Since 3.0 is implementing contact "groups", I am guessing eventually you can mass text a group.

WiFi is free on the iPhone (why wouldn't it be?), however you need to pay the monthly fee for 3G access.

You can set custom ringtones but need to use Apple's stock message tones unless you jailbreak your device.

I love my iPhone, flat out. Its an amazing phone and no phone I have ever owned comes close to it. I broke my 3G (my own fault, I took it apart to replace a part and busted a different part), but still am getting the 3GS. I say get one, you will likely love it, especially if you like your iTouch.

3. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

RTM - Read The Manual. All your questions are answered there, you can even check the apple website and read the answers to your questions there.

4. obliza thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou thats not helpful whatsoever.

I have already gone through everything apple.com and the faqs here has to offer.

5. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Texting - Took me about an hour to get used to. No plans are in place for an 'abc/123' keys etc but you will find after a day or two that you find that way of texting annoying. The iPhone is great to type with.

Mass messaging - you can do this no problem. Just keep pressing the '+' button in the contacts bar in the SMS/Messaging app.

Wireless internet - free. Though, that does depend on what wifi you are using. If it is your or a friends (i.e: personal) wifi then it's free. If it's a BT wifi hotspot or something, you may have to pay as you normally would.

Customisation - custom ringtones are a snap to create and fun to have on the iPhone. You have a limited number of choices for the SMS tone though I don't find it a problem tbh.

I think you'll be very happy with an iPhone. I had a Sony K800i before I got my first gen iPhone two years ago and I honestly adore this iPhone. Never have I held onto a phone for so long. I'm upgrading this time around though since all that I wanted (better cam, copy n paste, voice control etc) has been addressed.

6. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I couldn't agree more. I remember the first time I typed on an iPhone back in June 2007, it was a disaster. I couldn't figure it out and I was afraid to even buy the phone because of it. Within a week, I was typing without even looking at the screen. It's very easy to get used to and the auto-correction is super smart.

7. obliza thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone this has helped remove my doubts