Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
I was going to wait until the iphone 15 pro Max comes out to upgrade my 3 yr old iPhone 11 Pro Max with 512 gigs… but my iPhone just died a horrible death. I installed solar panels all Summer & my iphone took a beating. Shattered front & back screens. Even the camera lens shattered. Finally the screen itself died. It’s out of warranty, so to fix it will be prohibitively expensive. It served me well, so I went to upgrade to the new iPhone 14 Pro Max with 512 gigs. But it’s sold out at every Apple store on Long island And NYC. I know I can order it online and wait a month, but i need one now for work. I prefer the larger screen of the Max, but I am desperate enough to buy the regular iPhone 14 Pro… but it too is not in any of the local stores near me. I don’t recall a new iPhone Pro availability ever being this bad before. But then, it’s been awhile since I bought one. Maybe this is the new norm. Anyone else having problems finding them in your local apple store?

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
You’ll have a better chance with your carrier most of the time, they can check other stores for you also, check other electronic stores, most people just focus on Apple But apple.com can help if you know how to search for iphone inventory near you! In the past I’ve picked up iphones from Austin and houston And i live in San Antonio.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
You’ll have a better chance with your carrier most of the time, they can check other stores for you also, check other electronic stores, most people just focus on Apple But apple.com can help if you know how to search for iphone inventory near you! In the past I’ve picked up iphones from Austin and houston And i live in San Antonio.
This is good advice. Unfortunately, I am using one of the smaller lesser known carriers, Mint Mobile, and they are completely out as well.

• Sad
Reactions: Apleeseed84

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Agreed, this year is really worse than last year. There were few that showed up today on apple stores around me but they were all gone within 5 minutes of appearing. They go out really fast.

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
Check Best Buy.

I am in Virginia and got my 14 pro max at launch ( also came from the 11 pro max) and I have been checking the apple stores for friends who are looking to upgrade. But the pro models are rare and if they are in stock go fast. But I would agree that Best Buy might be the best bet. I have seen some at Best Buy and if you order through them they claim your phone will be available within like a few days.

The Apple Watch Ultra on the apple website also says they aren't delivering until November now.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
That's the issue is Apple by far has the best in store search functionality but only ever have the rare 1TB regular Pro. I never remember it being this bad

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I cancelled my 14 Pro Max and just got a 13 Pro Max. Those are a plenty. And minus the bugs that are being reported. I had no patience to wait over a month. ANd also the aforementioned bugs I didn't feel like dealing with after making the expensive mistake of buying a S22 Ultra with it's numerous issues that are probably more issues to my use case. Bottom line the Iphone was flat out better and I'm happier now.

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
I am in Virginia and got my 14 pro max at launch ( also came from the 11 pro max) and I have been checking the apple stores for friends who are looking to upgrade. But the pro models are rare and if they are in stock go fast. But I would agree that Best Buy might be the best bet. I have seen some at Best Buy and if you order through them they claim your phone will be available within like a few days.

The Apple Watch Ultra on the apple website also says they aren't delivering until November now.
I have been browsing BB and I see that many iPhone 14 Pro models will ship or be delivered to a store within a week or two. The website also allows you to check inventory of nearby stores and I have seen a few phones supposedly available for pickup "today." In my experience, though, the BB online inventory is not updated in real time so it could be out of stock even when it says available. Usually if the stock is low it says so but not always. But I have also gone into BB and asked for something that the website says was available and they say no they don't have any, but then when they go looking for it in back they find it.

Reactions: ShadowGuardian87

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
I was going to wait until the iphone 15 pro Max comes out to upgrade my 3 yr old iPhone 11 Pro Max with 512 gigs… but my iPhone just died a horrible death. I installed solar panels all Summer & my iphone took a beating. Shattered front & back screens. Even the camera lens shattered. Finally the screen itself died. It’s out of warranty, so to fix it will be prohibitively expensive. It served me well, so I went to upgrade to the new iPhone 14 Pro Max with 512 gigs. But it’s sold out at every Apple store on Long island And NYC. I know I can order it online and wait a month, but i need one now for work. I prefer the larger screen of the Max, but I am desperate enough to buy the regular iPhone 14 Pro… but it too is not in any of the local stores near me. I don’t recall a new iPhone Pro availability ever being this bad before. But then, it’s been awhile since I bought one. Maybe this is the new norm. Anyone else having problems finding them in your local apple store?
Honestly I would look at a 13pro max. It will be cheaper and the year to year Changes aren’t major.

Reactions: GuruZac

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
There was a Max in Lehigh Valley sub 30s and gone. Still some regular Pros so far at 128 and 256 instead of just TB

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Get a 14 Plus !

Mine is on it's way from China!
Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 9.52.48 AM.png

Aimbriano

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2010
I’m o
Im on Long Island I check each morning early on apples site and have had the chance to
Purchase the max. But have held off bc I’m partially undecided. I would check daily first thing in the morning

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I cancelled my 14 Pro Max and just got a 13 Pro Max. Those are a plenty. And minus the bugs that are being reported. I had no patience to wait over a month. ANd also the aforementioned bugs I didn't feel like dealing with after making the expensive mistake of buying a S22 Ultra with it's numerous issues that are probably more issues to my use case. Bottom line the Iphone was flat out better and I'm happier now.
I have both the 13PM and 14PM — much prefer the 14 — and no issues at all with mine. There have been software bugs, but that’s par for the course. The DI and AOD are both excellent. Screen brightness is also much higher in case you use outside.

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
I’m o

Im on Long Island I check each morning early on apples site and have had the chance to
Purchase the max. But have held off bc I’m partially undecided. I would check daily first thing in the morning
I've noticed Apple store inventory popping up in the late evening but it is gone or mostly gone by morning, presumably people ordering online.

I'm also undecided mostly because I'm reading about all the bugs. I'm sure they will be worked out eventually but I'm not in the mood to deal with them so I may wait for things to settle down.

I tend to agree the OP, who needs a phone now, should consider the 13 Pro Max instead.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Road trip! Seriously, maybe you have a friend in another area close by that could check at their local store for you?

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
Al the companies are having problem due to the supply chain. All you got to do is be missing one little part and you can’t have a phone ready to deliver.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
If you’re willing to wait a few days, possibly travel, and monitor stock over the next week, you should be able to find the model you want using http://iphonechecker.herokuapp.com/ or Inventory Watch if you have a Mac. Inventory Watch is more convenient because it automatically refreshes stock every minute and will notify you if your model is in stock, but you need to have your Mac with you to use it.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Update: I couldn’t wait so i took my iphone 11 pro max to the local mom & pop repair shop. The front & back screen were completely shattered with chunks of glass falling off. One of my camera lenses had a hole in it & the LCD screen was dead. They fixed the lcd screen, replaced the front screen & camera lens… but just put scotch tape on the back glass. 😂 They don’t have replacement back glass he said. So i just slapped my case back on it & said a prayer. My repaired iphone worked long enough for me to pay him $125 with apple pay … and then my screen died gain. 😂 He quickly replaced it…and an hour later, so far so good. 🤞 Hopefully it will last until the iphone 14’s are back in stock. Or maybe I’ll just hope it doesn’t break again & hold out for the 15. 🤔

Violet_Antelope

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2020
Update: I couldn’t wait so i took my iphone 11 pro max to the local mom & pop repair shop. The front & back screen were completely shattered with chunks of glass falling off. One of my camera lenses had a hole in it & the LCD screen was dead. They fixed the lcd screen, replaced the front screen & camera lens… but just put scotch tape on the back glass. 😂 They don’t have replacement back glass he said. So i just slapped my case back on it & said a prayer. My repaired iphone worked long enough for me to pay him $125 with apple pay … and then my screen died gain. 😂 He quickly replaced it…and an hour later, so far so good. 🤞 Hopefully it will last until the iphone 14’s are back in stock. Or maybe I’ll just hope it doesn’t break again & hold out for the 15. 🤔
I think you should order the 14 in a hurry before dates slip again - sounds like a horribly temporary fix! Good luck!

AmazingTechGeek

macrumors demi-god
Mar 6, 2015
Los Angeles
You don’t take iPhone Pro’s to a mom and pop shop, sorry.

You called the display an LCD…please leave your iPhone repair/purchase options only in the hands of Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.