iPhone provider/coverage issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by forg1vr, Aug 26, 2009.

1. forg1vr macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So, I had this ingenious plan: buy an iphone 3gs at bestbuy, unlock it, and use it on Tmobile.

Turns out: The coverage at my college is not 5 bars as the TMO website suggested, but rather 0 bars. So essentially I'm ****ed. I got a 600 dollar iPhone I cant use and now switching to an iPhone contract on AT&T would not only cost me more, but then I would also admit to having paid 600 dollars for a device I could have had for 200.

I would however commit to a 1 year plan, but AT&T doesnt offer those anymore, according to the rep.

Thing is, I need a plan that keeps my monthly costs relatively low and the 90ish bucks on AT&T just dont do it.

So I have been thinking about getting an AT&T prepaid card (maybe from ebay..), register it with the Nokia thats lying around here and then just plug it into the iPhone. And with those pick your plan things, I could even add texts and all. I really dont want to pay for the data plan, since I have wifi all over Campus, and as the no-data hack no longer works, the prepaid option seems to be my last resort.

So, in between all what people say and how they contradict each other, can anybody help me with a clearcut answer: Can I buy a prepaid card (even at the store), plug it into my Nokia or register it to it, and then just put it in my iPhone? Or will AT&T then ban my number when they see the iPhone imei number?

Thanks guys

2. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Do they still offer prepaid cards? I thought they'd discontinued them. I could be wrong, though.

3. forg1vr thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, not a specific iPhone prepaid. I'm talking about getting a totally normal prepaid sim card and just plug it in.

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

If you did a restore couldn't you just return the iPhone to Bestbuy?

5. forg1vr thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd just much rather have a plan/prepaid sim in which I don't have to pay those 30 dollars for the data for 2 years. I like flexibility.

So i guess nobody knows the answer to my question?