iPhone Purchase & Australia

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by doobi18, Oct 6, 2007.

1. doobi18 macrumors 6502

The day before the 1.1.1 update is was arranging funds transfer to a friend on a holiday in the US to buy me an iPhone & bring it back for me in Australia, but now I'm not so sure.

MacRumors users, you guys are great, please help me get a few things straight by answering these queries of mine...

• If an iPhone is bought now, will it come pre-loaded with 1.1.1 or still just 1.0.2 ?
    • If it comes with 1.1.1, can I degrade it down to 1.0.2?
    • Is it a good idea to use an iPhone with just 1.0.2, knowing I will never be able to upgrade the firmware?
    • Now with all the 1.1.1 issues, would I be better off just using my Motorola until the iPhone gets released officially here (1 yr at least & possibly never)?

Please give me advice on these points & on anything else related that would help me.

Than you for your help,

-doobi18

2. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

In my case I have decided to avoid any hassle and wait for the official version to arrive, but I am in the U.K. and only have 5 weeks to wait.

Is there any news yet about when it will be released in Oz?

3. doobi18 thread starter macrumors 6502

iPhone in Oz

At the moment there is no news at all, and the only telcom with decent EDGE/2.5G (Telstra) has publicly announced that they are not interested in the "old hat" iPhone.

Mybe it will only arrive here once 3G, whenever that will be...

4. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I don't think that will be too long.

5. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

Funny Testra would make that kind of comment. They just rolled out the SideKick about 6 months ago.. and the SideKick is not 3G. It is is VERY "old hat"!

I would not expect Telstra to roll out the iPhone in AU anyway- I don't think they would agree to give Apple a share of the monthy charges. They are a sydo government run phone company and are not likly to get into that kind of arrangment.

6. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

Why do you say that. The iPhone is going to be available sometime next year and you may not have to wait as long as you think.
    I would suggest waiting and get things done the proper way
    Trust me you don't want to be a part of the cat and mouse game Apple is playing.

7. kusanagi macrumors regular

I coudln't wait, got mine last week and it was a week 38 1.0.2 firmware iphone and loving it.

With virignmobile in Aus with a $10/300mb a month plan which is enough for browsing forums, doing email, checking shares etc

I don't know what your strike rate would be for getting an iphone wtihout the 1.1.1 firmwarer now, but the best i can suggest is that the serial number actually identifies the week it was made in and get your friend to try and pick one up thats week 38 production or less.

8. doobi18 thread starter macrumors 6502

aussie iphone

thanks for everyone's input on telstra...

but what is everyone's final verdict, should i get an iPhone now or wait?

doobi18

9. Madame Defarge macrumors regular

Wait

What if the phone has issues, especially down the road? who you gonna call, so to speak?

10. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

11. doobi18 thread starter macrumors 6502

iphone in Oz

thanx everyone for opinions

i think waiting is definately the path to follow.

such a shame though considering it would have actually been an economically viable option as my V3 just suffered major water damage & my 4G iPod is suffering issues (sad ipod 5 times & HD skips).

12. Caracarn macrumors newbie

Bought my week 38 iphone through a friend who went to NY and I couldnt be happier.

Advantages
    - Only paid $500Au it, will probably be $700-800 when released in Aus.
    - Running on an Optus $35 plan, not forced onto a $60+ plan I dont need
    - Is an Ipod and phone in one
    - Laughing because people on Ebay are paying $200+ more than I did
    - Mates are envious cos they don't have one

Disadvantages
    - Can't update to newer firmware which is not a problem at the moment as 1.1.1 doesn't have anything worth upgrading for, no Starbucks in WA!
    - Havent got a warranty, if it dies or I drop it then it's a bin job
    - Optus data speed and cost is ridiculous
    - They may release the 3G version which will make mine look like a dinosaur

I'm hoping when it does come out here i'll be able to flash it with the firmware that checks for the local carrier ie Telstra, go in and sign up with them, put that sim card in and have a legit iphone with the latest firmware.

I probably wouldnt bother getting one now due to risks of it being a 1.1.1 phone.