IPhone Purchase Problems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 04texag, Dec 26, 2008.

1. 04texag macrumors newbie

My Father-in-law bought gift cards for my MIL for an Iphone for christmas.

They just went to the ATT and were turned down. Here's what the store said.

She has a current AT&T account, and she has 11 months left on the contract. It's just some piece of junk phone. They said that renewing her contract was not possible.

Is this really true that she cannot buy the Iphone and get the 2 year contract?

AT&T said all they could do is sell them the phone at the (unsubsidized) full price. I understand if she had a subsidized 3g already that she can't upgrade again but I don't get this. Please help. Thanks,

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

They are right, because the phone she has now was bought at a subsidized price.

Best bet is to cancel the current contract (for $175) and then go ahead and buy the iPhone 3G.

3. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Yes, this is true and has nothing to do with the iPhone or 3g. It's been ATTs (and Cingular) policy for years. If you want to upgrade a phone before the 2 year contract is up, you pay full price for the phone.

4. 04texag thread starter macrumors newbie

But if she can renew for any other phone and do a new contract, why not the same for this one.

They didn't care if she bought any other new phones and upgraded and extended the contract.

5. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

Existing AT&T customers have to wait 18 months into their current contract before they can get an iPhone at the lower, subsidized price.

I'm in the same boat, stuck waiting until the end of February before I can buy my own.

It might be possible for a store manager to allow upgrades slightly early, but I'm not sure about that.

Good Luck.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Best bet? Seriously? How much is the 8GB iPhone? $175 + $200 = $375. What is the cost of the unsubsidized price for the 8GB iPhone? Is it not $400? And remember, you pay tax on the full price of the phone even if you're signing a contract. Simple math tells me it is not worth canceling a contract in order to get the phone, but that is just me.

Store managers do not have the authority to do this. They're simply glorified sales people. They'll be happy to explain the same to you if you ask. Aside from degrading their title that is. ;)

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Uh, he has a gift card. What possibly else is he going to use the gift card for?

8. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Neither the ATT nor Apple store would allow an upgrade for any phone if my contract was not up.

9. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Either you're asking the wrong questions or you're not speaking to the right person.

You can and will be able to upgrade to any phone you want, it's matter of paying for the full or subsidized price. As for iPhone 3G, you can pay $200 more for an unsubsidized upgrade with 2 year contract extension.

10. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Upgrade means buying a new phone at a subsidized price, not simply getting a new phone. People can login to their ATT account and determine if they are eligible for an upgrade.

11. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Login to your AT&T and read.

12. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yes, so if you are "upgrade eligible," as per your quote, you are eligible for price drops. This also entails other things. An "upgrade" involves renewing your contract and getting a new phone at a low subsidized price. A retail purchase means purchasing the phone at full retail price and not renewing your contract. BIG difference.

Sometimes, AT&T will let you pay a $75 early upgrade fee on top of the subsidized price and contract renewal. However, this is done on a case-by-case basis and CAN NOT be used to get an iPhone.

13. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

No and no. Upgrade is getting a new phone, subsidized price is a separate matter depending on your eligibility. It's really not that complicated.

14. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

what if you have a contract with them and its not over yet but you want to get the iphone with a new 2 year contract on the same account name? so then you have 2 line with 2 contracts?

15. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes, you can have mutliple lines of service in one person's name. You could even switch to a Family-talk plan and add the iPhone as one of the add-a-lines.

Dave