Iphone purchase regarding existing AT&T plan

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by i eversaw, Sep 5, 2008.

1. i eversaw macrumors regular

i eversaw

I'm on a family plan, and i know the price for an iphone is $199 with new activation. Would it be possible for me to get it at this price, even though I'm already on a plan?

2. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Is your line in your family plan upgrade eligible yet? It's either that or add a new line to the existing family plan.

3. i eversaw thread starter macrumors regular

i eversaw

Unfortunately, no. With this new line, what would happen to the old one? can you cancel a line, and not the whole account all together??(mom, dad, brother's)

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

sounds like the only way would be for you to open an account under your own name. Providing you are over18

5. i eversaw thread starter macrumors regular

i eversaw

yeah, I'm old enough, but it would be a lot better if i could just add a plan to the family plan and cancel my old line...but oh well I'll ask AT&T tomorrow

6. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

If your existing line is not upgrade eligible, then that also means that line is probably under a 2 year agreement, canceling it would have an early termination fee, around $175. If that line is only costing you $10 a month being part of a family plan, or if you can minimize the plan to that, it might be less overall to let it sit if it only has 6 months left or so, then cancel.