iPhone purchaser questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EagerDragon, Oct 1, 2007.

1. EagerDragon macrumors 68020

EagerDragon

1) Can I buy an iPhone today, legally active it via AT&T/iTunes, buy a second iPhone a few days later, not activate it and simply move my sim card to the new phone and use it without going thru the activation again?

2) Can I later take the old phone (using the new sim that was swapped from the new phone) and activate it with a new number and new contract?

Why??? - Im thinking on buying now, and switching phones when rev 2 comes out and give my old phone to my kid. I will need the new features and more memory, my kid wont need the new model.

2. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

You're asking a question about a product that isn't out yet... hence the lack of answers.

But knowing Apple, I'm sure that the iPhone2 will accept a SIM from an original iPhone. This is the standard upgrade path. The SIMs are currently swappable from iPhone to iPhone.

3. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

I have to return a defective iPhone to the Apple store. The "genius" took out my SIM and put it in a new phone. That was it. So the answer to your first question is yes. There is a "but". You do need to set up voicemail again and any data (songs and photos) will be lost if you haven't saved them. Make sure you sync everything with iTunes before swapping SIMS so that you can restore the data portions of the phone.

As to the second question, gceo is right that one cn't comment on a product that has not been released. It would be logical to assume that the SIM card sway would work fine. It is an AT&T SIM, not an Apple SIM. (In fact when I swapped phones, the Apple "genius" gave me the SIM from the new phone and said that AT&T would not let them keep it. It had to go to the customer.) However, if we learned anything from 1.1.1, it's that Steve Jobs will do whatever puts the most money in his pocket.

4. EagerDragon thread starter macrumors 68020

EagerDragon

So today, if my current iPhone is activated and up to date on sync, I just buy a new iPhone and switch the sim, connect to my laptop to sync the new phone and head out the door without having to re-activate?

That simple? Wow.

To all that responded, Thanks!!!!!
    Where is my darn credit card?