Iphone purchases - debit/credit card only

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benfilan, Nov 9, 2007.

1. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

i saw this notice up in an O2 store regarding the sale of iphones. I knew that they no longer accepted cash for them in the states, but do you think that this is a way for apple or the network provider to link unlocked/hacked iphones with the purchaser with a view to prosecute?:rolleyes:

2. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

Possibly but I also think that it is probably more because they don't want that amount of cash sat in the store safe all weekend.

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It isn't a crime to unlock a phone, so the end result would not lead to prosecution, mere civil litigation. Seeing as how the iPhone is only $400, and that most citizens do not have massive bank accounts, Apple would probably not seek civil penalties from any single person because the legal costs would far outstrip any possible return.

Cash does not sit in safes for long. Most retail stores have overnight workers count the cash and send it for deposit. If this was a major concern for Apple, they would have banned cash for ALL purchases. A mbp costs far more than an iPhone ;) The real goal is to deter unlockers and resellers from buying the phone.

4. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

sorry guys this was probably answered here a coupel of times but i could not find teh answer after searchin for like 10 minutes,, does thi mean i can t buy an iphone in teh states with a canadian debit card?

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I don't believe so. The bank which issued the card must be an American bank...I think.:eek: