Iphone( purchasing/activation ) here is the scoop.Lets put this to rest

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmpantalone, Jun 12, 2008.

1. jmpantalone macrumors newbie

I Finally got the lowdown on the 3g iphone....The $199 or $299 price that you see online is a discount price for new customers or current customers that already have the first iphone. 2 year contract required. If you are a current customer but do not own the first iphone you can still buy the 3g iphone with a no commitment plan but the price of the 3g phone will be more than 199 or 299. Or you can wait until your eligable for a phone upgrade and still get the 199 or 299 price. ATT has not determined what the price will be for non iphone owners or owners that are not eligable for a phone upgrade when the 3g is realeased for sale. All will require a data plan.....boy o boy lets put this to rest.....thanks everyone. One other thing as far as activation im not to sure att told me they will be selling the phone on their web site and still will be able to activate wit itunes

2. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Yeah pretty much what everyone assumed.

Although if other countries are any measure, expect the price of the iPhone out of contract to be very expensive. IE it might be much more than $200 more than the $199/$299 price.

3. mtfield macrumors 6502

now I just want to know the release time and i'll be very content!

4. aosman macrumors 6502

Probably be around 6pm, like they usually do on releases.

5. rolex54 macrumors 6502

I don't think we are gonna put this to rest because a person with 18 posts says it is true without stating a single source.

6. jmpantalone thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry rolex54

I got this information from att. What does it matter how many posts i have

7. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Srsly. There's plenty of people with tons of posts that are FOS. Quantity doesn't equal Quality.

8. jediistar macrumors 6502

What does matter is that you could have searched and found 390129342093123123 other threads covering the same exact thing.

9. rolex54 macrumors 6502

yeah well I called at&t and they told me a completely different story, even they don't know what is going on

I am not saying you are wrong, its just no one really knows what the true story is

10. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I don't think this will be put to rest until July 11.........

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

Oh, don't worry. It'll go on longer than July 11. Everyone claims to have spoken with someone high in the AT&T or Apple hierarchy, and yet they all manage to come back with different stories. Right...

12. Blitzerin macrumors newbie

I'm a current customer of AT&T, and I do not own the first iPhone, and I really doubt that the iPhone 3G will cost me more than 199 and 299.

13. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I agree. I have spoken with several AT&T reps and have heard that:

1) everyone is eligible for upgrade
    2) not everyone is eligible for upgrade
    3) $199/299 is the price for everyone
    4) $199/$299 is not the price for everyone
    5) iPhones will be sold online
    6) iPhones will not be sold online
    7) they have final pricing information available now
    8) they will not have final pricing information for a couple of weeks

Along with all the "you have no activate in-store", "no you don't" stuff I've read here. I've concluded that either only some employees have obtained information, or that they all know as little as we do. :rolleyes:

14. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

Best post on the subject yet. :D

Yet again, a pointer to the AT&T pricing memo of 06/09 - I would tend to believe this over word from a CS rep, but of course AT&T could change thier mind prior to 07/11 ...

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/06/09/iphone-3g-the-details-you-never-wanted-to-know/