iPhone push email stops occasionally

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iosuser, Dec 16, 2014.

1. iosuser macrumors 6502a

Occasionally I don't get email notifications until I open the mail app. It's not just a delayed notification. When it happens, emails don't get downloaded until I open the mail app. It's been happening very frequently this week. Just now, I missed an email from 3 hours ago, until I habitually opened the mail app.

This has happened on every iPhone I ever had on every iOS version, from 3GS to my current 6. I never found a definitive answer as to the cause or remedy. Is it something on Apple's server side? It is extremely annoying :mad:

2. althaur macrumors member

althaur

This was happening on both my iPhone 6 and my iPad mini w/retina. I tried restarting both to no avail. It finally fixed the issue when I connected both to my iMac and synched them. That seems to have fixed the issue since it hasn't returned in the last week or so. Hope that helps.

3. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I get this on occasion on my 6+. Seems to mainly happen overnight but sometimes during the day.

4. althaur macrumors member

althaur

Bah!! Came back last night and still doing it this morning. :mad:

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

What kind of reception is your phone getting when it is sitting in the place you are not getting mail.

6. Smithwicks macrumors regular

Happens to me too. Usually restarting does the trick.

7. althaur macrumors member

althaur

Perfect reception. It started again last night. And continued this morning. It's obviously not something with just the phone, as it started with the phone AND iPad mini at about the same time. I was out when it started on the phone. Got home about 20 minutes later and the iPad was having the same issue.

Restarting doesn't help. I'll try syncing again this afternoon when I get home and see if that works again.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I hope you find the problem, please post back if you do.:apple:

9. althaur macrumors member

althaur

Synching didn't help at all. Still have to open the mail app in order for emails to download. My wife's 5C isn't doing it at all. Not sure what the #*&$ is going on, but it's really annoying. :mad:

10. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

I've had the same exact problem with my 4, 5 and now 6 too! It's like it forgets sometimes to get them then once you open the app and it retrieves the emails it starts working again for me for the next day or so then it will stop again. I use a hotmail account. Maybe that has something to do with it? I don't know. I've just learned to live with it. :)

11. 2ndHalfCor macrumors newbie

I'm new to iPhone with OS8 and I've had this problem from the beginning. It isn't consistent. Just sometimes I pick up the phone and open the mail app and suddenly I have messages from two or three different accounts (I have four set up) that come in all at once. When I first get up in the morning and check my phone it happens more often than not, but also at other times of the day the phone has been idle on standby. It makes me very distrustful of the phone and I use the phone in business so I can't just "learn to live with it."

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Happens to me too. Has for years. Seemingly no rhyme or reason to it. Nothing to do with reception as I wm in wifi most of the time and it can still fail. If I check email them rough the app (basicslly load the app) I can have a dozen emails sometimes.

13. alison03 macrumors newbie

I'm also new to the iPhone (6) after years with Android and my Yahoo mail randomly stopped pushing after working fine for the first month. My outlook account and all five Gmail email accounts still pushes instantly but in order to see my new Yahoo mail I have to go into that specific inbox and wait for it to refresh. All notifications are on and I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and rebooting. So basically there's no fix for this? Pretty disappointed.

14. althaur macrumors member

althaur

I've finally set mine to fetch. Can't seem to find a fix. Pretty damn annoying.