iPhone PUSH Email Technology

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patlaw, Apr 22, 2011.

1. patlaw macrumors newbie

My office email account is on an Exchange server. When I receive an email on that account, it is pushed immediately to my iPhone. One of my personal email accounts is Gmail. The delivery from Gmail (IMAP) is not nearly as quick as Exchange. Another personal email account is a simple POP3 account. Email sent to that account can take quite a while to appear on the phone. If I understand the operation of the email client on the iPhone, the quickest that it can check a POP account is 15 minutes. Is that correct?

I thought I understood that Gmail was supposed to be PUSH technology, like Exchange. Is my understanding correct?

Maybe the best solution is to find a hosted Exchange server for my personal email accounts. The ones I can find are expensive. Is there another way to get a PUSH account on the iPhone 4 (AT&T)?

2. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

For your GMail account, set it up under Exchange instead of the default Gmail they have. There are instructions on Google's site on how to set Gmail up as Exchange to get PUSH.

3. patlaw thread starter macrumors newbie

4. neumannu47, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011

neumannu47 macrumors newbie

5. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Another vote for gmail as exchange. I feel this way is the only true PUSH email setup on the iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. patlaw thread starter macrumors newbie

The Exchange setup for Gmail works great. It's not as fast as my Exchange server, but it's fast enough.

The problem, now, is the second account, which is currently POP. I tried to forward the POP account to a Gmail account. The Gmail account is set to allow sending as the second account. To keep this explanation from getting too hard to follow, assume that the POP account is pop@domain.com Assume that a new Gmail account is pop@gmail.com.

pop@domain.com is forwarded to pop@gmail.com
    pop@gmail.com is allowed to send as pop@domain.com
    The phone has an Exchange setup for pop@gmail.com

If I send an email to pop@domain.com, it forwards to pop@gmail.com. The phone will quickly receive that email through the Exchange client on the phone.

Here's the problem. When I reply to that email, the reply shows that it is coming from pop@gmail.com instead of pop@domain.com. I understand why, but I'm wondering if anyone has a creative way of forcing the sending email address to be pop@domain.com. I set the default sending address in Gmail to be pop@domain.com, but that didn't help. It also didn't help to change the settings on the phone.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I stopped using Google Sync (which is set up as an Exchange account). Why? Receiving email was very satisfactory. Sending emails went all crazy. It's hard to explain exactly what was happening but everything was messed with my Gmail account. All emails I composed and sent from my iPhone using the Gmail account didn't go into the Sent folder but the IMAP sent folder. Drafts didn't go into the Drafts folder but the IMAP drafts folder. The worst thing is that I couldn't consolidate emails from IMAP folders to the main folder. Emails were all over the place.

Also, having two Gmail accounts as Exchange and one MobileMe (work, personal and private accounts) really drained my battery. Even having only one Gmail account was worse than one MobileMe. So long story short, I only have MobileMe as push and everything else set to fetch every 15 mins. Now, my sent and draft emails appear where they should be so it's easy for me to work on those emails when using Mail on my Mac or Gmail's web interface. And this works for every email account I have on my iPhone.

8. ani23 macrumors 6502

The funny thing is push exchange works at least a minute faster on my iPad and iPhone vs native outlook on windows. And you would think that outlook would be fastest.

9. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

When you use the google instructions to set up push for gmail, it works great!

10. zephxiii macrumors 6502

Yes that's true but because the server pushes it out to activesync before it pushes out to outlook clients. I know as I run my own exchange servers.