Iphone push notification not working 3.1.3

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by butters149, Mar 26, 2010.

1. butters149 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have the Iphone 3gs and my downloaded the official firmware 3.1.3 non jailbroken and when I try to run the Todo app my push notifications do not work at all. This sux as I depend on it alot, are there any fixes for this? Will the genuis bar help?

Thanks,

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Is it just that particular apps push that doesnt work or all other push notifications dont work?
    It might be just a problem with that apps server.

3. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

I've noticed that PUSH sometimes takes a while to push email (Gmail) to my iPhone. Sometimes I have over 10 emails pop up when I open the Mail app.

Are there certain email addresses that PUSH dosen't push?

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Setup your Gmail as explained here and it will push.

5. butters149 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have just confirmed that my BeeJive does not have the push working either, this is weird, I have jailbroken this phone before on 3.1.2, but after I have decided to just upgrade to 3.1.3 officially.

The weird thing is that I still have Internet Tethering and the apple representative said my carrier was suppose to be 5.7, I looked and its still 5.6.

Should I just restore and setup as a new phone?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

7. butters149 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just wondering but when I updated to the latest firmware why did it not update the carrier as well? Does this mean I can still jailbreak? And is this the usualy cause of problems for push notifications?

8. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

Push email and Apple's push notification system are completely different.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you cannot JB a 3GS iphone on stock 3.1.3
    And like said above the carrier file and Apples push has nothing to do with eachother.

10. butters149 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm confused, so why do you think upgrading to 3.1.3 again and setting up as new phone would make push work again?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Usually a restore fixes issues like that.
    And with a 3GS the only firmware you can restore to is 3.1.3 so not many options there.
    Also sometimes people have repeat problems when they restore from an faulty previous backup.
    Not many other things to suggest.
    The genious bar will probably tell you the same thing before they take a look at it.

12. g4ry macrumors newbie

You don't happen to be on Telus/Bell do you?

I upgraded to 3.1.3 when it came out, and have not gotten push working since. I have tried every combination of starting over, even a new iphone.

Same symptoms, sometimes when I open mail, or restart the phone, a stream of them will all come in at once.

Endless hours on tech support as come up with nothing.

13. butters149 thread starter macrumors 6502

wow i see i'm not the only one then, is this a common problem?

14. g4ry macrumors newbie

From what I can tell, no, it is not common. I have spent way too many hours with this issue, it's become an obsession now trying to get it working. You are the first other person I've heard with the exact same symptoms. Can I ask what carrier you are with?

Cheers,
    Gary

15. butters149 thread starter macrumors 6502

16. daoes macrumors newbie

updated to the latest firmware ware usualy cause of problems for push
    notifications?

17. Cruzcntrl macrumors newbie

Push notifications not working

I also have the same problem. No push notifications after I jail broke the phone then restored back to normal condition.

18. stevemiller macrumors 65832

so far i've tried:
    -changing dns to opendns and then google dns, reportedly worked for some but neither did for me
    -opened port 5223 on router, still no luck
    -tried setting up a vpn through hotspot shield - couldn't even get it to connect :(

i've never jailbroken or anything, but i don't use a data plan, just wifi. technically it should still work (albeit delayed) but i've never received anything. i guess i'll try a restore, next.

as a final note, push mail does work fine for me, but from what i gather from others, it's a completely different system.

any other thoughts?

19. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Mail push is entirely different. Most email providers do not support push email. If they do the phone must be setup as en exchange account for it to work.

Are you also having problems with other push notifications, like the op?(non-email)

20. stevemiller macrumors 65832

just a little more info, i was just sitting here and suddenly 2 push notifications came through - from 2 days ago. i hadn't changed any settings or changed wifi networks or moved to an area with different cellular coverage. and when i tried to generate a new notification, nothing came through as usual.

i wish i knew what was going on.

21. g4ry macrumors newbie

I have tried every imaginable fix for this on my end, there is nothing that can be done. (this includes replacing the hardware, trying different exchange servers, different push notification apps, resetting all settings, trying every different combination of settings, well, you get the idea.)

2 solid months of troubleshooting this problem, and I'm still no farther ahead. The carrier told me that it probably will never work. That's reassuring.

22. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

You still aren't making it clear. Are you having with applications push, or the email push. As they are completely different. Or are you having problems with both?

23. g4ry macrumors newbie

The problem is systemic, including both systems, the push mail system, and the push notifications. I know my exchange server supports push, as it worked fine before I updated to 3.1.3. All of my friends on the same exchange server using jailbroken 3.1.2 iphones have no troubles with mail being pushed.
    Nonetheless, I have tried gmail with activesync, and the issue is identical. It seems as though it is a network connectivity / timeout problem. I am suspicious that Apple changed the frequency of their IP "heartbeat" messages or something around the handling of them with this update. (perhaps to improve battery life).

Push notifications suffer the same problem as the OP. (Beejive, NotifyMe, GmailPush, etc etc). Sorry for not getting to into the details, I have given up finally and just use fetch for email and don't use IM clients on the iphone.

gary

24. bb147 macrumors newbie

I am having the EXACT same issues! I have searched and cannot find any one else that has posted about this exact problem!

It seems to work with no problems when I restore and set it up as a brand new phone and just install beejive, push works fine. But as soon as I load on my other applications and setup my email accounts, push dies. It will work for about 1 minute if i turn on and off airplane mode, but then it stops working again.

This is extremely frustrating!

EDIT: So I'm restoring once again (5th time for the night) and Push notification for Beejive seems to be working fine when I don't setup any email accounts. I'm going to leave it for the night and see if Push notification still works in the morning, if it does, I'm going to setup exchange again to see what happens. I have a big feeling exchange is causing push notifications to fail along with exchange push email to fail.

EDIT 2: So after some extreme testing by restoring and re-configuring my iPhone over 30 times, I have pinpointed the problem. Certain Microsoft Exchange setups. If I set it up without microsoft exchange, all push notifications work properly, as soon as a microsoft exchange account is added, push does not work properly. The occasional random push will come thorough but definitely not normal operation. For whatever it's worth, Google "Exchange" seems to work fine.

The good news is, I am playing around with iPhone OS 4.0 Beta 4 and THE ISSUE IS FIXED! Exchange push works perfectly along with Apple Push notifications! I was so close to going back to Android... now I just can't wait till official os 4 is out! Hope this helps anyone else experiencing this issue!

EDIT 3: So I spoke too soon, OS 4.0 Beta fixes the issue somewhat. What happens is Apple's Push notifications work properly but now exchange push doesn't work. After messing with my exchange server for a couple days I think I have finally came up with a solution. Create a new Active Sync policy in Exchange Management Console, assign that policy to the specific mailbox you are having problems with. I also removed HTTP Headers Information in IIS, not sure which one of those did it but it finally works, this time both Exchange and Apple's Push Notifications work perfectly. I am running Exchange 2007 SP1 on Windows Server 2008 with IIS 7.5.

25. mjocham macrumors newbie

Same problem

Hi there,

we have the same problem here. Exchange 2003, Mail-"Push" versy slow or even not working, manual download works fine.

When we switch to EDGE it's quite fast, but with 3 G horrible.

Any news?

Thanks in advance