iPhone Push Settings

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mpizzo72, Aug 18, 2009.

1. mpizzo72 macrumors newbie

New to these forums and figured I could find a lot of help here.

I have a gmail account going to my iPhone. I have "Push" set to "off" and I have it checking Hourly, but whenever I get an email, it is immediately sent to my iPhone.

Any idea how to get it to only check hourly like it supposed to? I hate that it is using battery to check it every time I get an email.

Thanks in advance.

2. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Gmail does not offer push for the iPhone. Do you have the Mail app open when you are getting these emails right away?

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

That is odd since gmail doesn't have push. However, push doesn't use battery to fetch as you are doing every hour; the network only seeks out the phone and pushes the notification when it is available, much like recieving a text. In theory push should use less than one-hour fetch so I would not be too concerned.

By the way, most would be jealous. A lot of people are anxiously awaiting push gmail to roll out.

4. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Only if you are receiving less than one email per hour and remain on the same network with no break in the connection.

5. mpizzo72 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have the mail app open.

I send myself an email and about a minute later, it is received on my iPhone. I suppose I should turn off the hourly check since I am apparently getting e-mails as they are received in my Gmail inbox.