iPhone [PUSH Yahoo Email Problems]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EnderTW, Jul 3, 2007.

1. EnderTW macrumors 6502

So I created an account.

I am having some problems.

When I send an email from another email account (test123@yahoo.com) to my yahoo email account (myyahooaccount@yahoo.com) I get the mail pushed with-in 30 seconds.

However! When I send an email from (test123@yahoo.com) to my gmail account which is set to forward to my yahoo account (myyahooaccount@yahoo.com) I do not ever get it pushed to me on my iphone, I have to manually check for emails.

Is there a reason for this? We can't get forwarded emails pushed or something?

2. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Perhaps Yahoo Mail is set up not to push emails that are from yourself? Have you tried sending from another email account to your gmail forwarding account?

3. EnderTW thread starter macrumors 6502

Did you even read my post?

4. dr_lha macrumors 68000

I misread your post, my apologies. No need to be so rude though, I was just trying to help.

5. EnderTW thread starter macrumors 6502

Understood.

I carefully crafted my post to get rid of any variables such as the one you mentioned.

I dunno, do any of you notice push email is slow and not as fast?

6. EnderTW thread starter macrumors 6502

I notice that only the forwarded email accounts are slow. Like I said in original, if I send it to the yahoo email account, it's fast, I get the email less than 30 seconds.

7. docc macrumors 6502

The exact same thing happened with me initially. But now after a day, all of a sudden i am getting mails forwarded just as they appear in my gmail inbox (maybe a 30 second variation).

Have you set the IMAP Path Prefix under advanced settings of your Yahoo mail to "imap.apple.mail.com" ?

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I am thinking Yahoo is having some IMAP server issues. My push works fine, then stops working for a while, and then starts working again without me doing absolutely anything.

Now its working, but I cant use it because it wont let me change the reply-to address, and I dont want my email to from from @yahoo.com. I am using GMail, but configured using the Other option, not the GMail configuration option. I am using the outgoing server of my ISP (verizon), which lets me use it outside their network with my verizon user ID and password. This lets me specify my work reply-to, and it works with either WiFi or Edge.

9. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

That doesn't work nor does it fix the problem...

10. transamman1999 macrumors member

i have the same issue, sometimes i'll get emails within 30-60 seconds and then i wont get any emails for 20+ minutes until i go in and tell it to check, then ill get 2-4 emails???

i hope this is gonna be fixed soon.

11. Dermot81 macrumors member

What if you use gmail as the outgoing server and yahoo push with gmail forwarding as the incoming server? Would that work?

12. transamman1999 macrumors member

hopefully that was just a typo/mind-fart
    i got mine working now by typing:

imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com

don't forget to add the Yahoo in there

13. EnderTW thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple needs to allow PUSH email from other carriers if Yahoo doesn't want to fix it. Apple needs to get the ball rolling because this is really pissing me off.

14. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

i'm hoping that yahoo builds out their servers and network big time in the next few days. In fact, I hope they have thousands of employees RIGHT NOW trying to make it WORK as ADVERTISED.

Sorry for yelling, but I want Push to work the way they said Push would work the way every other true Push works.

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No, it won't. Yahoo push mail only works when you use the Yahoo shortcut on the iPhone to configure it. It apparently adds something to your user ID to authenticate to imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com that is not added when you use the "Other" mail account creation shortcut. Therefore, your email will always seem to come from yourid@yahoo.com because the Yahoo shortcut hard codes the @yahoo.com part.

This is looking like a very pathetic attempt by Apple to give Yahoo some "exclusivity" for push mail by crippling the support for IMAP IDLE on any IMAP server other than the Yahoo server. Push email using IMAP IDLE works on most IMAP servers when you have an email client that cooperates (like Chatteremail on the Treo), but the iPhone chooses to cooperate ONLY with Yahoo and ONLY if you use the Yahoo shortcut.

I would be willing to bet money somebody cracks this soon...

16. lsd macrumors newbie

I'm a longtime Yahoo Mail Plus user, and had great success with Mail and my various Treos over the years, as well as with multiple computers. But now, with a new iPhone, I'm faced with a problem. My home computers each download a copy of new mail from the Yahoo servers and display it as new mail in my Apple Mail program. However, with the "push email" for the iPhone, I never see my Yahoo email as new, because the action of my home computer downloading the email make the email look read on my iPhone. I turned off the Push settings (general and Yahoo specific) on the iPhone, but the problem persists!! It's a nice feature if you don't have a desktop computer that automatically downloads messages (which is sometime I pay Yahoo extra for with Mail Plus). I really need to find a way for my mail to come to my iPhone mail client in a normal way, so it appears as unread until I actually read it on my iPhone!

17. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

I'm also having problems with Yahoo push email since upgrading to 3.0. Before I'd get notifications seconds after recieving an email... Now it don't seem to push at all. I need to go and select my Yahoo email from Mail, it'll connect and finally download any new emails. Sometimes I'll check and have multiple emails.

18. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

I have the EXACT same problem. It sucks. I wish I could help you but I just wanted to say you aren't the only one with this problem.

19. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Uh any IMAP IDLE supporting server will work as push mode... not just yahoo.

Yahoo's significance is that you get this IMAP access without paying extra like normal Yahoo users have to.

Also if you really want good push support, better even than Apple's own MobileMe then get an exchange server account. You can get a free one to forward your mail to at mail2web.com, they have been around years and have never done anything to offend my paranoid sensibilities.

20. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

Anyone help?

21. Che Castro macrumors 603

lol