iPhone question about activation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by grimreaper1377, Jul 10, 2008.

1. grimreaper1377 macrumors regular

Ok so here's the deal - As of right now, my plan is not eligible for the upgrade discount, meaning that I'll have to pay $200 more for the iPhone, which I REALLY don't want to do. The thing is I'm on a Family Talk Plan with AT&T, and I'm a "third" line, meaning that my line is an add-on line.

So I thought of this way to get it cheaper - cancel my current line with the family talk, then go buy the iPhone, and at that time, add the line back. Hopefully, since I'm "new" to AT&T, I should get it for the normal $199/$299 price.

If you were too lazy to read all that, here's the summary: If I'm on a Family Talk plan, and I cancel my line, then buy the iPhone and add the line, what will i pay for the iPhone?

Thanks a bunch
    :apple:

2. guitarguy09 macrumors member

it seems like that would work, but are there any hidden cancellation fees?

3. obijaun macrumors newbie

i am in the same situation with my blackberry, my blackberry is currently an add-in to my parents phone plan. i have 19 months left on the plan so paying $10 a month ($190 over the next 19 months) to keep my phone line and getting a new iPhone to add as a 4th phone to the plan for $299 is $9 cheaper then paying $499 outright to upgrade, so thats what I am doing and keeping my second phone as backup for whatever reason (can't really think of one now)

another option is to outright cancel your phone plan for $175 untaxed and signing up a new iPhone onto the plan for $299, you'd save about $40 - $50 bucks that way.

if you do the second option though you probably would want to activate a new iPhone first and call the next day to cancel the other plan so it's a little less obvious as to what you are doing