iPhone question about non AT&T 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by classie787, Sep 6, 2010.

1. classie787 macrumors member

Okay, so I'm a newbie here and am debated between a iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4th gen. Be easy on me!

So IF I got the iPhone 4, would I be able to unlock it and use it with Verizon's service? Would I be able to use 3G on Verizon?

I originally was going to get the iPod Touch 4th, but then started thinking it would be nice to have everything in one unit. But I'm starting once again to believe this might not happen.

Still interested though...I do see a bunch of iPhone 3G's for low prices (iPhone 4's are often ridiculously high!).

Thanks all!

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Verizon and Sprints current CDMA networks are incompatible with the iPhone (which uses GSM technology). If you unlock an iPhone, T-Mobile (the only other major US GSM carrier) is about the only place it'll work. Even then, T-Mos 3G network is setup on somewhat odd frequencies that the iPhone doesn't support, so it'd only work on their slower EDGE network.

3. classie787 thread starter macrumors member

Again, please excuse my ignorance here...

I am confused, then, why Apple iPhones are going for $700-$1100+ on ebay without a contract. Do these purchasers just want to use the phone capabilities of the iPhone on other carriers besides AT&T? Or are that many people using the iPhone on T-Mobile?

Seems to me you'd might as well be an AT&T user...

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Some people can't be AT&T users for a variety for reasons, like credit scores requiring a substantial deposit (up to $750), past-due bills from previous AT&T accounts that have to be paid off, etc.

So if you're in that situation with AT&T, or you want to run on another GSM network, or you're in another country where the currency exchange rate makes buying something expensive in USD not as expensive in your native currency, you have to buy from eBay/craigslist/etc. The market sets the price, and the newest iPhone is always at a premium.

5. draz macrumors 6502a

If you are in the US, then yes those that purchase it for such a high price are using it on T-Mobile.

However the big thing about an unlocked iPhone is the ability to travel to almost anywhere in the world and use the phone on that local carriers network using prepaid cards. Saving you a significant amount of money.

But you can always take your existing GSM phone and use it in another country however you will have huge roaming rate charges.

6. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

people buy them for there needs..say they dont want to be on a contract or have a new one/extend it/or dont like to be on att/travel/bills ect...

i remember when i first got my iphone 2G i just bought it without any contract i had to activate it itunes then sign up on att plans..but i was on t mobile still so i unlocked it yeah i saved like 20$ or a month....there not much people using iphone on t-mobile...

in my point i dont see the needs to unlock the iphone 3/3GS/iphone4 to use with t mobile here in the US..edge sucks and whats the point of having a 3G chip when your just using slow edge..your not getting the most out of the device..plus streaming is a pain on edge..even basic web surf...

just wondering if anyone knows if you unlock a iphone 3/3gs/4 and use the 3G network besides the actually carrier in other countries ? or you will have to use edge like here in the US?:confused: i always wondered :confused:

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Most other carriers run their 3G networks on frequencies supported by the iPhone, so the T-Mobile/EDGE thing is pretty much limited to the US.

If you went to Europe. your unlocked iPhone would have no problem using T-Mobile's 3G networks over there.

T-Mobile just happened to get frequencies in the US (for their 3G network) that aren't used very often.

8. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

thanks for the heads up..:)